Not A Bug Trinisphere + Chord of Calling Interaction Bug?

allball103

I was playing Yawgmoth vs Prison Tron today and the tron player had a trinisphere in play. The next turn, I chord of calling'ed for what should have been a lethal blood artist, but the Trinsphere blocked the spell because I was only paying 2 mana from lands and the rest was from convoke. With everything I can see in the ruling, convoke doesn't actually reduce the cost of the spell, and this should've worked fine (as it does with delve). This straight up lost me the game. At the least, would love confirmation on whether or not this is an intended interaction.

jackey730716

It's probably a bug rather than a ruling issue.

From MTG judge:

"Because these are alternative ways to pay mana, they act on the final cost, after it’s locked in and after the player has activated mana abilities. This has the following consequences:
  • If an additional cost is imposed, such as by Sphere of Resistance, that can be paid for with the ability. If a cost-reducing effect, such as Helm of Awakening is applicable, these abilities take that into account too. These abilities function after even Trinisphere has vetted the mana cost, so it won’t see you actually paying 1 mana to cast Treasure Cruise. Just a normal 8 mana sorcery, which it has no reason to care about."