Fixed Opponents incorrectly Reanimate my Golgari Grave-Troll with a +1/+1 Counter

This just happened in today's Challenge. I have a Leyline of the Void on the battlefield, and my opponent has 0 cards in their graveyard. They cast Reanimate targeting my own Golgari Grave-Troll, causing the Troll to perceive itself as if it were in my opponent's graveyard and incorrectly receiving a +1/+1 counter.

I believe when my Golgari Grave-Troll enters the battlefield through the opponent's side, it should look for creatures in the opponent's graveyard for the purpose of determining whether it enters with +1/+1 counters.

From my point of view, the Troll should enter the battlefield without any counters and die immediately.

It is frustrating because this has been a well-known bug on MTGO for ages and has never been fixed. Can you please help us?

THE_DADDY

The Faerie Macabre is in the opponent's exile, there is nothing in their graveyard (as you can see by the 0 over the tombstone icon). This is a bug and has been known about since at least 2019, I reported this issue on the old forums but it was lost on the transition to daybreak games. This bug is occurring with increasing frequency in legacy now reanimate is seeing wider play.

LegacyBrewPub

This also happened with me. I cast reanimate with 0 creatures in the graveyard, and it entered with 1 counter on it. I did it to kill bridge from below, and it didn't work.

Neo001992

If you mean that Golgari Grave-Troll counts itself when it is reanimated from the graveyard this in not a bug. The Troll 'sees' itself in the graveyard when it checks how many counters it should enter with if it is being put into play from the graveyard.

There is a noted ruling on gatherer and scryfall for this interaction.
  • If you return Golgari Grave-Troll from your graveyard directly to the battlefield, its first ability counts itself.(2018-12-07)

Neo001992

The troll will give itself an extra counter if it's reanimated from the graveyard, not sure if that's how the ruling works.
If you mean that Golgari Grave-Troll counts itself when it is reanimated from the graveyard this in not a bug. The Troll 'sees' itself in the graveyard when it checks how many counters it should enter with if it is being put into play from the graveyard.

There is a noted ruling on gatherer and scryfall for this interaction.
  • If you return Golgari Grave-Troll from your graveyard directly to the battlefield, its first ability counts itself.(2018-12-07)
I'm not sure if it makes sense to merge this into the thread about an opponent reanimating your Golgari Grave-Troll. The thread it got merged into is improper behavior of the Golgari Grave-Troll, but the newer post appears to have been questioning when you reanimate a Golgari Grave-Troll from your graveyard.

THE_DADDY

This also happened with me. I cast reanimate with 0 creatures in the graveyard, and it entered with 1 counter on it. I did it to kill bridge from below, and it didn't work.
In that case you would not exile bridge from below. The wording on bridge is "When a creature is put into an opponent’s graveyard from the battlefield" which would not be the case when Grave-Troll dies, as it would be going to the dredge player's graveyard. Doing this would actually be giving them zombies.