Could Not Reproduce MTGO keeps crashing with Shiny.App.Dispatcher_UnhandledException

rnelson

I fired up MTGO for the first time in 8 months to play a Magic 30 cube draft, and MTGO crashed 4-5 times during the first pack with Shiny.App.Dispatcher_UnhandledException (see below for the longer exception log, reduced to get under the 10K character limit). I was able to finish the draft and play two games, but during the third game, I got the same error again and timed out because I couldn't get back in to MTGO without it crashing.

I filed for compensation and got my draft token back, started another draft, and received the same error during the third pack. Now, whenever I try to edit my deck, MTGO crashes with the same error, so I can't play any matches.

I uninstalled and reinstalled MTGO, but that didn't fix the problem. Please help.

MagicExceptionType: MagicException
Severity: Fatal
ActionToTake: The application will now close.
ExtraDetails:
InternalDetails: Unexpected error - see inner exception
at Shiny.App.Dispatcher_UnhandledException(Object sender, DispatcherUnhandledExceptionEventArgs e) in C:\jenkins\workspace\Build\Windows\source\windows\clients\Shiny\View\MainNavigation\App.xaml.cs:line 533
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.CatchException(Exception e)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.CallWindowProc(IntPtr wndProc, IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.CallWindowProc(IntPtr wndProc, IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DefWndProcWrapper(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.SetWindowPos(HandleRef hWnd, HandleRef hWndInsertAfter, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 cx, Int32 cy, Int32 flags)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.SetWindowPos(HandleRef hWnd, HandleRef hWndInsertAfter, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 cx, Int32 cy, Int32 flags)
at System.Windows.Window.SetupInitialState(Double requestedTop, Double requestedLeft, Double requestedWidth, Double requestedHeight)
at System.Windows.Window.CreateSourceWindow(Boolean duringShow)
at System.Windows.Window.ShowHelper(Object booleanBox)
at Shiny.Toast.ToastViewManager.<>c__DisplayClass17_0.<ShowPendingToasts>b__0() in C:\jenkins\workspace\Build\Windows\source\windows\clients\Shiny\View\MainNavigation\Toast\ToastViewManager.cs:line 172
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(Object obj)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(CulturePreservingExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)
at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
at Shiny.App.Main() in C:\jenkins\workspace\Build\Windows\source\windows\clients\Shiny\View\MainNavigation\obj\Release\App.g.cs:line 52

Inner exception:System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80072EE4): Exception from HRESULT: 0x80072EE4
at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
at MS.Win32.WinInet.get_InternetCacheFolder()
at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDownload.BeginDownload(BitmapDecoder decoder, Uri uri, RequestCachePolicy uriCachePolicy, Stream stream)
at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.LateBoundBitmapDecoder..ctor(Uri baseUri, Uri uri, Stream stream, BitmapCreateOptions createOptions, BitmapCacheOption cacheOption, RequestCachePolicy requestCachePolicy)
at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder.CreateFromUriOrStream(Uri baseUri, Uri uri, Stream stream, BitmapCreateOptions createOptions, BitmapCacheOption cacheOption, RequestCachePolicy uriCachePolicy, Boolean insertInDecoderCache)

Firedrake

Don't know if it will help your particular problem, but it shouldn't hurt. Someone posted elsewhere his workaround for the re-installation bug:

"This fixed the issue for me: Disabling Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser scheduled task under Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Application Experience seemed to also work as long as the task stays disabled."

rnelson

Don't know if it will help your particular problem, but it shouldn't hurt. Someone posted elsewhere his workaround for the re-installation bug:

"This fixed the issue for me: Disabling Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser scheduled task under Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Application Experience seemed to also work as long as the task stays disabled.
Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't fix the problem.

This was the initial error I was getting:
"
Now, I don't even get an error message--it just crashes after I attempt to edit my draft deck:

rnelson

I opened up a MTGO prize pack, and MTGO crashed with the same error. Now, whenever I go to my collection, I get the same error; also, the two cards I opened in the prize pack are blank in my collection:

rnelson

Our Dev team had a look at this and suggested the procedures mentioned in this article (use regedit.exe and look for invalid/missing paths) as a possible solution.
Thanks for the suggestion. Are there any specific keys I should be looking for in regedit (or is there a way to display just the invalid/missing paths)?

Firedrake

Thanks for the suggestion. Are there any specific keys I should be looking for in regedit (or is there a way to display just the invalid/missing paths)?
You might want to try Revo Uninstaller. It does an excellent job of removing extraneous Registry entries relating to whatever app you're uninstalling.

ncosgrove

@rnelson Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm getting this crash on startup 100% of the time and can't find a solution after doing all the standard listed troubleshooting

rnelson

@rnelson Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm getting this crash on startup 100% of the time and can't find a solution after doing all the standard listed troubleshooting
No, I never found a solution. I filed a ticket with Daybreak, and they were very helpful, but none of their suggestions worked. They ended up resetting my password and logging in on their end, which worked for them, which means it's a problem with my computer and not my account. Their last suggestion was to do a full clean install of Windows, which I do not want to do.