Not A Bug Kicked Vigorous Charge gives opponent life

SadPandaFace

During an Invasion draft match I encountered a bug with the card Vigorous Charge. When I kicked it and targeted my opponent's Coalition Honor Guard, my opponent gained the life from the creature's damage, not me.

Neo001992

This isn't a bug to the best of my understanding because of the wording of Vigorous Charge.

A kicked Vigorous Charge functionally grants a creature the text of, "Target creature gains trample until end of turn. Whenever that creature deals combat damage this turn, you gain life equal to that damage."

Because the life gained is from the ability given, and not the spell itself, the 'you' in the ability will mean the controller of the Coalition Honor Guard will gain the life because of how the rules interpret 'you' in Magic.

• 109.5. The words “you” and “your” on an object refer to the object’s controller, its would-be controller (if a player is attempting to play, cast, or activate it), or its owner (if it has no controller). For a static ability, this is the current controller of the object it’s on. For an activated ability, this is the player who activated the ability. For a triggered ability, this is the controller of the object when the ability triggered, unless it’s a delayed triggered ability. To determine the controller of a delayed triggered ability, see rules 603.7d–f.

owlandcrab

@OP This is not the intended interaction. SadPandaFace should have gained the life from the delayed triggered ability, not their opponent.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neo is incorrect regarding this interaction. The only ability the creature gains is trample. The rest of the kicked Vigorous Charge sets up a delayed triggered ability that triggers when the targeted creature deals combat damage in the same turn. See the following rule for who controls that triggered ability (and thus, who the 'you' refers to):

Comprehensive Rules 603.7d. If a spell creates a delayed triggered ability, the source of that delayed triggered ability is that spell. The controller of that delayed triggered ability is the player who controlled that spell as it resolved.

Add this rule to the one quoted above (109.5) and it's clear that the 'you' in VC refers to SadPandaFace, the controller of the resolved VC.