Flatten League Prize Payouts

bji

My suggestion is this: now that there are so few formats that any casual player can play, can you please stop making the event payouts so skewed to the skilled and experienced players?

Draft queue pays only for 2 or 3 wins. So only the best players get anything. So effectively you are punishing your newbie players. Why would you do that? Are you TRYING to discourage new players from playing MTGO?

You should pay out something for 1 win. Like, 4 tickets or something. And should pay the most rewards for 2 wins and slightly less for 3. That way the best player still get their 3 win booty but even novices have a chance at getting that 2nd win payout if they can get to 2 wins. Unless you really like ensuring that only the players who live in Magic and discourage new players by constantly beating them is entirely your goal. In addition, paying for 1 win would also make the third game when a player has gone 0 - 2 actually worth playing and more likely to fire because others will be playing in that situation too.

Also, you should generally lower prices or increase prizes. I only play every once in a while because quite frankly it's way too expensive for the play time. You should be encouraging people to play more, not less.

Pauper because it's the only constructed format they're willing to front the money for... aka forced to...
If the only format people can play is one that's unfun they just won't play the game, you could have had a real argument if professional players still existed and peoples' livelihoods depended on winning enough events, or if paupergeddon was a qualifier for another event that people might want to play in, but as is no one is living off prize money and certainly not when those prizes are store credit. ie. no one is forced to play magic and idk about you but I have better things to do then play a game that I don't enjoy.
Therefore, we can assume that most people playing paupergeddon do so because they enjoy pauper. (or they're in what I have to imagine is a very small group of players who don't like the format but have played enough of it to honestly believe that they're good enough to make top32 of a 500 player event anyways, and even then 17-32 only profits 20€ so really you'd want to be confident you could make top16).

AEMNIAMFLAREL

If the only format people can play is one that's unfun they just won't play the game, you could have had a real argument if professional players still existed and peoples' livelihoods depended on winning enough events, or if paupergeddon was a qualifier for another event that people might want to play in, but as is no one is living off prize money and certainly not when those prizes are store credit. ie. no one is forced to play magic and idk about you but I have better things to do then play a game that I don't enjoy.
Therefore, we can assume that most people playing paupergeddon do so because they enjoy pauper. (or they're in what I have to imagine is a very small group of players who don't like the format but have played enough of it to honestly believe that they're good enough to make top32 of a 500 player event anyways, and even then 17-32 only profits 20€ so really you'd want to be confident you could make top16).
That's exactly the point... "people wont play the game".

You want to rope those players back in by giving them something fun to play.

AEMNIAMFLAREL

In terms of payouts... and not rental cards.

I think the problem is going 0-3 gets you 50 points.
If you go 0-3 you should get nothing lol.
2-1 should net you some prizes not break even.
3-0 > 150 plus MOCS points & Treasure chest
2-1 > 150
1-2 > 50
0-3 > 0

If the payout was tickets then:
3-0 > 4
2-1 > 4
1-2 > 2
0-3 > 0

but then again tickets aren't = to play points.

That way it's skewed so that on average if you can 2-1 then you make a little headway.
When I see the payouts the problem is that 2-1 slot... most of the time, if you have a good draft you go 2-1. and all you get is another draft.
0-3 should not pay anything imo.

Last edited:

AEMNIAMFLAREL

I think the problem is going 0-3 gets you 50 points.
If you go 0-3 you should get nothing lol.
2-1 should net you some prizes not break even.
3-0 > 150 plus MOCS points & Treasure chest
2-1 > 150
1-2 > 50
0-3 > 0

If the payout was tickets then:
3-0 > 4
2-1 > 4
1-2 > 2
0-3 > 0

but then again tickets aren't = to play points.

That way it's skewed so that on average if you can 2-1 then you make a little headway.
When I see the payouts the problem is that 2-1 slot... most of the time, if you have a good draft you go 2-1. and all you get is another draft.
0-3 should not pay anything imo.
Honestly the whole economy is jacked up because of play points and other prizes.
You buy tickets which cant buy packs from the store, then you get play points or packs.
And the bots gauge by doing .2 or .1 or .4
Banks have been sued for using fractional currencies which skim hundreds of thousands of dollars over the course of many transactions. buts neither here or there.

There should be one currency, the payouts should be in that currency and that currency should let allow you to buy packs from the store.
I'd be curious to know what the ticket to play point conversion ratio actually is...

Also, as a casual player I don't care about a treasure chest or MOCS points.

I just want to play as much as possible with putting in as little money as possible.

Theoretically should be able to cash out tickets for real money in exchange... like poker or gambling sites but that well never happen.
That's the difference between paying for entertainment and paying for profit.
The system shoes you into a play for rewards system that isn't enticing enough and or the casusal player doesn't care about.

I also dont care about alternative arts or fancy foils and or promo cards that or worth nothing on the secondary market IE bots.

AEMNIAMFLAREL

Since I'm bored, I'll add that in 12 years or since promos as prizes or player rewards, I have never gotten anything of value that I can turn around and sell so that I can do a draft or something... they're basically useless lol
It's like going to the arcade and paying 50$ and walking out with 3 tootsie rolls and a spider ring...

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about anymore
That's exactly the point... "people wont play the game".
You want to rope those players back in by giving them something fun to play.
That whole point started from you saying that pauper wasn't fun, and my point was that clearly many people do enjoy it as evidenced by the large number of people playing it.
This whole post is just baffling.
1) The only event that pays out if you lose every match is the friendly sealed league
2) Non-phantom drafts pay out in packs not play points so I honestly have no idea where your numbers are coming from
3) If you are talking about phantom drafts then you aren't flattening the prize structure, you're just adding 50 play points to going 2-1, so not really relevent to this thread which is about flattening payouts
4) In your payout in tickets section you put 3-0 as the same prize as 2-1 which seems weird
You buy tickets which cant buy packs from the store, then you get play points or packs.
You can buy packs in the store.. and the store is the only way tickets get introduced to the economy so.... why would you be able to buy packs with tickets in the store?
Banks have been sued for using fractional currencies which skim hundreds of thousands of dollars over the course of many transactions. buts neither here or there.
I both don't see what this has to do with anything, nor can I find any evidence that it's even true (granted I didn't look that hard)
There should be one currency, the payouts should be in that currency and that currency should let allow you to buy packs from the store.
Why would you buy packs from the store rather than bots anyways? bots will always have them for cheaper.
I'd be curious to know what the ticket to play point conversion ratio actually is...
1:10, obviously...
Also, as a casual player I don't care about a treasure chest or MOCS points.

I just want to play as much as possible with putting in as little money as possible.
So why do you even care about the prizes for constructed leagues then? just play in the open rooms, it's free
Theoretically should be able to cash out tickets for real money in exchange
Once again, most of the major bots do this.
The system shoes you into a play for rewards system that isn't enticing enough and or the casusal player doesn't care about
Again, the practice/open rooms are right there and let you play as much as you want for free, many people never play leagues. You have to pay to draft, that's pretty much it, and that's also true in paper.
in 12 years or since promos as prizes or player rewards, I have never gotten anything of value that I can turn around and sell so that I can do a draft or something
They are literally free, even if they put valuable cards in the packs the prices of those cards would immediately crash to nothing because of how many of the packs are opened.

AEMNIAMFLAREL

Again big picture... every thing I said rewards the player more in the long term...

Wouldn't you want promo cards that are valuable or at least playable ?

Again > see the angle, pauper is played because its cheap, do people enjoy sure... but would they rather enjoy playing modern or legacy more, highly likely.

Which points back to the rental option... connect the dots...

4) In your payout in tickets section you put 3-0 as the same prize as 2-1 which seems weird
No because 3-0 gets you MOCS and a treasure chest...
2-1 has to be 150 PP
If 3-0 is to be more than make it 200.

I say this because if your a decent player, on average you go 2-1.

2-1 should get you more than your entry fee back.

AEMNIAMFLAREL

You can buy packs in the store.. and the store is the only way tickets get introduced to the economy so.... why would you be able to buy packs with tickets in the store?

This is evidence of a broken economy, where packs are cheaper from the bot...
See your prizes are worth less than what you put into play.