Not A Bug Client Lag

ZeroForever

Seems like the longer i play mtgo, the more laggy it is. If one of my games goes long, its difficult to finish. often ill be behind 5 mins on clock from my opponent. It takes 10 seconds just for Seasoned Pyromancer to put 2 tokens in play.

My Computer is running updated Win 10, i7-8700k (not overclocked atm), 3080ti, and 32gbs of ram. Normal troubleshooting steps dont resolve the issue and the only thing that puts a band-aide over it is restarting the client. My wifes computer, which runs low to mid components runs the client better. Can any assist me in what i might be missing or need to do in order to fix this issue. my wifes PC also is using an AMD chip. not sure if that makes the difference or not. Thanks.

CrawWurm

I'm having this same issue. It makes playing competitive tournaments really really risky. Found out the hard way.

Basically as the game goes on I wind up losing 10+ seconds off my clock when I pass priority. We have similar computers. I've tried running max overclocked and it doesn't help at all. I read that turning the sound off helps but that didn't help at all. I'm assuming turning the sound down means turning the master down to zero.

Two reimbursements honored but at this point I feel like it is play at your own risk. Pretty sure WOTC would look at more reimbursement requests the same way.

Hopefully this gets fixed very soon as playing competitively is just not an option. Maybe we will at least get some advice on a self-fix.

Angeliana

Senior Community Manager
Community Team
This issue is actively being investigated, as soon as we find the cause and have a fix, we will be sure to post it.

Lincoln

Thank you @Angeliana,

I am also affected by this bug. Ever since I installed on my brand new gaming computer, and the Daybreak switch happened (not sure which, it was around the same time), I've barely been able to get through one single match. I have to restart the client while sideboarding or I'll just lag out and be a solid 5-8 minutes behind my opponent, like the original poster said.

The lag spikes corresponds with CPU spikes and CPU Fan spin-up. As it progresses through the match, the CPU fans spin up more and more frequently, and for longer durations. Every click takes 5-10 seconds longer than it should.

This isn't the first time I've struggled with this issue -- it happened on my older PC as well, but somehow it went away for a while. Now it's back and worse than ever. I took a break for a few months hoping this would be fixed. Sad that it's not, but happy it's actually being looked in to.

Specs:
  • Processor: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K 3.20 GHz (16 cores/24 threads)
  • Installed RAM: 64.0 GB (63.7 GB usable)
  • System type: Windows 11 - 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
  • Pen and touch: No pen or touch input is available for this display
  • Displays: Three monitors running at 2560 x 1440
  • GPU: NVidia RTX 3090Ti Founders Edition with 24GB GDDR5 ram
  • I have a bi-directional (full duplex) gigabit fiber internet connection, and have verified my bandwidth. Ping to anywhere reasonable is 50ms or less. Sometimes single digits.

Please advise, let me know if there's anything I can do to provide useful debugging info -- and signing up for updates on this issue!

Lincoln

It seems I can get most of the way through one match without too much problem. I notice some slowdown by the end of it, but then if I play another match without restarting MTGO.... it's no bueno. The longer the match the worse it gets. Starts getting slower and slower and slower till I basically can't play.

Magic_dads71522

Ive had this problem for well over a month now. Ive deleted the game and reinstalled it, just to keep having the game become laggy to the point seconds are being wasted with each click, which has caused me to time out in big events while up a game!!! Ive seen it happen with other ppl as well, is this issues being addressed or so i have to keep playing with a worry the game will lag and cause me to time out?

Lincoln

Another related effect I've noticed when this happens, is that the MTGO client will change size while the CPU fan spike is happening. It almost goes blank for a moment, resizes to slightly larger than fullscreen, becomes unresponsive, then snaps back into its original place before becoming responsive again. The entire client locks up and cant' be clicked and nothing happens while this is going on. This is all preceeded by my timer going down for about 10 seconds while this all starts up. This will happen more and more frequently as matches proceed.

Lincoln

Happened noticeably (for the first time in my session today) when my opponent activated "Divining Witch" at the end of a long match.

ZeroForever

Perhaps unrelated my wife's computer has the SAME EXACT CPU as i do. If i plan on playing for more than an hour, i remote into her machine and play that way. I didnt know MTGO had card moving animations across the screen until i played on her pc. happy to help solve this where i can.

After today's update to the cube list I noticed significant lag in the client. Clicking buttons/actions result in a few seconds before the action is taken (except when in game, which still works fine).

Lincoln

The issue I'm describing definitely affects gameplay and it makes it almost impossible to play two matches in a row without restarting the client. Frequently longer matches also become problematic.

The server slowness has become ridiculous. I haven't finished a match all week due to time-outs. Something needs to be addressed. This all started last year with the server change-over and has only become worse and worse over time.

Magic_dads71522

Same issues as well. consistent lag and restarts which don't help in their end. you start to panic with the lag and clicks become crucial. OBVIOUSLY MTGO isn't really too worried about the issue as it seems to get worse and worse. simple reimbursement is best they can do which doesn't help for when you are out of prize contention for SOMETHING THAT ISNT YOUR FAULT

RHWil

Game is beginning to feel unplayable with how bad the lag is getting. Makes streaming difficult when you need to constantly restart or are lagging.

schmokey

Why does this issue come and go? Long-time MTGO (and paper) player here and I have seen this issue pop up sporadically over the last few years. One would think this issue would present with high network traffic such as when Vintage/Legacy Cubes are run (popular, superior limited formats that aren't available as much as they should be) versus something like what is currently available, Tempest Remastered (mana flood/screw grab bag). There are a fraction, perhaps 5-10%, of active players with the latter as there are with the former. It really is such a feel bad and so frustrating to play, especially when this game costs $ ongoing. Could it be that MTGO is hosted in the cloud and elasticity is turned down with the lower popularity events? What is the issue? I try uninstalling and reinstalling client and it doesn't work. Just have to restart roughly once per game (2x within a match). Fix it!

MTGO_TonyM

Developer
One example of how lag can be introduced happened when MOM debuted - battles added a whole other level of things to check for at all times. Once we were able to narrow down the cause (which did take a good chunk of a week), we were able to fix the issue and send out a hotfix within a couple days.
We cannot expect to track down every source of lag in the client - we try to find spots for improvement when possible: we made one fix that significantly reduced load times and are working to bring the file size back down.

If there is something reproduceable, then provide that information. It could be as something as simple as "I notice matches against Deck X have spiraling slowdowns".

Beyond that, you can protect the integrity of your play experience by restarting the game every couple of hours - particularly in paid and Premier events.

ManaDrainThis

One example of how lag can be introduced happened when MOM debuted - battles added a whole other level of things to check for at all times. Once we were able to narrow down the cause (which did take a good chunk of a week), we were able to fix the issue and send out a hotfix within a couple days.
We cannot expect to track down every source of lag in the client - we try to find spots for improvement when possible: we made one fix that significantly reduced load times and are working to bring the file size back down.

If there is something reproduceable, then provide that information. It could be as something as simple as "I notice matches against Deck X have spiraling slowdowns".

Beyond that, you can protect the integrity of your play experience by restarting the game every couple of hours - particularly in paid and Premier events.

Do you think that reducing max deck size from the current 1400 to 500-700 or so would have any positive impact? (along the lines of the issues raised in this thread: https://forums.mtgo.com/index.php?threads/new-accounts-with-140-card-decks.905/)

Plus 1 to this, basically unplayable for any form of repetitive combo play. I'm not playing my opponent, I'm playing the timer + exponential match lag