Client Freezes

uicswim

Client freezes randomly. I haven't seen a trend but the client will randomly freeze during a match and will crash. Client freezes and crashes again when trying to log out and log back in. Has happened about 4-5 times the past couple days. Once fetching for dryad arbor, once green sun zenith on 0, once when my opponent played a tarmogoyf and just now when passing the turn.

The trend is cards from the Future Sight expansion. I'll bet money that the Dryad Arbor was the Future Sight expansion version...and so was the Tarmogoyf. Green Sun's Zenith for 0 was most likely fetching Dryad Arbor.

jordanmunson

Same thing happened to me a few matches in a row now. Confirming that it's Green Sun's Zenith for 0 fetching a Future Sight Dryad Arbor. Probably need to just wait until it forces me to concede another match then drop from the league to get a different Dryad Arbor. What a bummer. :(

Screenshot of it in action, taken a few minutes after my client locked up.

R04aQcG.png

Error23UK

So every time I got to add a deck or import a deck into the new freeform commander section it completely lags the client out and crashes it its becoming almost impossible to do which is such a shame as i really love this new mode

jordanmunson

Another example via game replay, game log expanded to show game actions taken before client freeze. Event 260130747, Game 843731452. Happy to provide additional relevant details about system if helpful!

lWbfgUH.png

ManaDrainThis

Another example via game replay, game log expanded to show game actions taken before client freeze. Event 260130747, Game 843731452. Happy to provide additional relevant details about system if helpful!

lWbfgUH.png
Have you tried swapping out the Dryad Arbor to a non-Future Sight version?

jordanmunson

Have you tried swapping out the Dryad Arbor to a non-Future Sight version?
No freezes with non-FS Arbors. I've had the same client freezes with Future Sight Tarmogoyfs. Weirdly enough just had my client freeze when an opponent cast FS Tarmogoyf against me, Definitely seems to be something very weird with FS cards specifically, though I couldn't wager a guess at what.

The entire game will crash for you and opponent immediately upon playing any of the following Future Sight version cards:

• Grove of the Burnwillows
  • Horizon Canopy
  • Dryad Arbor
  • Tarmogoyf
  • Narcomoeba
  • Aven Mindcensor

NOTE: These are all Future Sight cards that have been reprinted.
NOTE #2: WOTC considers this bug "unreproducable".

Last edited:

ContraEgo

I have experienced the same problem. I didn't make note of if a future sight card was played the first 2 times, but when it happened again last night, it happened each time my opponent played Horizon Canopy in the same match. However unlike previous cases, the game did recover when I logged back in. Before, the client would continue to crash each time I logged back in until I timed out from the match.
I think it recovered this time because my opponent immediately cracked canopy when it was played, meaning that I never had priority while it was in play.
The question is, why didn't it crash my opponent's game? Could a fresh install fix this?

ContraEgo

Just happened again when someone cast a Tarmogoyf from Future Sight. Game froze and shut down, when I try to log back in the match won't start, the league# is showing as 0 as well. Now I won't be able to use the client until this match times out and I lose due to inactivity.

CAUSE DETERMINED:

The missing piece here is DISPLAY SIZE. When I extend the screen to 1920 x 1080 (on a 22 inch monitor) and play a Future Sight card that has been reprinted, that is when the crash occurs. Minimizing the MTGO display to half allows me to play those cards (and have those cards played against me) without a crash.

MTGO_TonyM

Developer
CAUSE DETERMINED:

The missing piece here is DISPLAY SIZE. When I extend the screen to 1920 x 1080 (on a 22 inch monitor) and play a Future Sight card that has been reprinted, that is when the crash occurs. Minimizing the MTGO display to half allows me to play those cards (and have those cards played against me) without a crash.
Fwiw, our QA team still hasn't been able to reproduce this crash, even with expanding the display size.

ContraEgo

I have done a full reinstall, but have not encountered one of these cards since to my best recollection. Will take note when I do and post if this fixed the problem for me

ContraEgo

An opponent played a future sight horizon canopy against me today and the client did not freeze, so unless the issue was affected by a recent patch, the full reinstall worked.