Allow Us To Block Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

GwennieMacrae

As it stands now the "Allow chat from only buddies" doesn't really work. As it just seems to remove the chat window for me but the other player can still send messages and ill still get notifications. I understand I can click "allow chat from only buddies" and unclick the "incoming chat message" notification. But then I'm also missing notifications from people I do wish to speak to and they STILL can send their comments I just wont be notified.

It just really sucks always having to get nasty lil comments and harassment when I just want to play the game without having any sort of verbal exchange.

While I understand it'd only really work in 1v1 games. I'd really appreciate it there was an option to block chat so that my opponent in 1v1 wouldn't even see a chat window to type in.

vandwedge

I think it's a good idea, anyway! Nearly the only messages I ever receive are "gl hf," "ggs," and aggression/rage/insults (the latter usually right when I win a match). I can only imagine how much worse it gets when you have an overtly feminine screenname.

The current "ignore chat" feature is certainly helpful in the meantime, but it does nothing to indicate to your opponent that you aren't seeing their messages.

AEMNIAMFLAREL

I think it's a good idea, anyway! Nearly the only messages I ever receive are "gl hf," "ggs," and aggression/rage/insults (the latter usually right when I win a match). I can only imagine how much worse it gets when you have an overtly feminine screenname.

The current "ignore chat" feature is certainly helpful in the meantime, but it does nothing to indicate to your opponent that you aren't seeing their messages.
Yea but who cares if they don't know... you can choose not to respond regardless of whether you see or not.

GwennieMacrae

Yea but who cares if they don't know... you can choose not to respond regardless of whether you see or not.

I do technically understand where you're coming from. I get it, like theoretically speaking if you can't see it..who cares.

But again though, why? Like why would you prefer to still be able to talk to someone even if they're not listening? What does that accomplish? Why would you prefer that over it simply being clear that a person doesn't wish to engage in chat and there just be no chat window at all?

According to another poster in this thread, the reason they DONT want chat removed is literally because they feel they NEED the option to verbally harass players if they're upset. I'm not saying that's what you yourself are saying. I just don't understand why someone should be denied the option to simply opt of out chat if they wish nor can I imagine any reason someone would insist they be able to chat anyway, even when chat is unwanted.

Why is it MY responsibility to "not respond/not look" and not THEIR responsibility to not resort to harassment in the first place.

Sincerely though, can you explain to me why you feel it's better that someone NOT be allowed to opt out of chat but instead just ignore what the other person is saying rather than just giving someone the option to remove chat all together?

I feel pretty safe in assuming that what I'm asking for isn't a complicated task that would require months of extra coding and research and work. As it stands now "allow only buddies" simply removes the chat window for ME. How hard could it possibly be for them to have that option remove the chat window for BOTH players.

AEMNIAMFLAREL

I do technically understand where you're coming from. I get it, like theoretically speaking if you can't see it..who cares.

But again though, why? Like why would you prefer to still be able to talk to someone even if they're not listening? What does that accomplish? Why would you prefer that over it simply being clear that a person doesn't wish to engage in chat and there just be no chat window at all?

According to another poster in this thread, the reason they DONT want chat removed is literally because they feel they NEED the option to verbally harass players if they're upset. I'm not saying that's what you yourself are saying. I just don't understand why someone should be denied the option to simply opt of out chat if they wish nor can I imagine any reason someone would insist they be able to chat anyway, even when chat is unwanted.

Why is it MY responsibility to "not respond/not look" and not THEIR responsibility to not resort to harassment in the first place.

Sincerely though, can you explain to me why you feel it's better that someone NOT be allowed to opt out of chat but instead just ignore what the other person is saying rather than just giving someone the option to remove chat all together?

I feel pretty safe in assuming that what I'm asking for isn't a complicated task that would require months of extra coding and research and work. As it stands now "allow only buddies" simply removes the chat window for ME. How hard could it possibly be for them to have that option remove the chat window for BOTH players.
Because if they implement what i said you won't ever see it.
Chat is closed at start of game... in game notifications(the pop-ups) are blocked and you simply dont open chat.
Boom Done!

GwennieMacrae

Because if they implement what i said you won't ever see it.
Chat is closed at start of game... in game notifications(the pop-ups) are blocked and you simply dont open chat.
Boom Done!

But if you just had "allow only buddies" ACTUALLY work as intended and it removed chat for BOTH parties, then not only would neither player have to see anything. But the other player wouldn't have to waste their time or words on someone who wasn't listening at all.

I just can't imagine why someone would feel they NEED to have the option to talk to someone that doesn't wish to listen to them. What purpose does it serve over simply giving the player to opt out of chat completely?

For instance, if I started harassing someone in private messages on this forum. Should they be denied the ability to ignore me because theoretically speaking, "they could just choose to not open my messages"?

AEMNIAMFLAREL

Again, programming ease.
The company that runs the client is going to take the easier route possible to address the matter if they choose to.

Hellbent Activated: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

GwennieMacrae

Again, programming ease.
The company that runs the client is going to take the easier route possible to address the matter if they choose to.

Hellbent Activated: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Lol I get you're just trolling at this point but like aren't you unironically asking them to "center your hand" in another thread? Like.......are you joking there too or what?

AEMNIAMFLAREL

Lol I get you're just trolling at this point but like aren't you unironically asking them to "center your hand" in another thread? Like.......are you joking there too or what?
On a wide screen 50" it looks ridiculous...
At least with the old version of mtgo, the cards came into play oriented to the left and moved right. So your vision is set to the left anyways...

Your hand is oriented left and moves right as you draw more cards.
When the new client launched in 2011-2012ish... they centered the battlefield but left the hand oriented to the left.
I thought in 10ish years they would have aligned it by now....

Old Client > Focus View is oriented left.

Current Client > Left hand in same position moved battlefield to center.

It's not a huge issue but is easy to change from a programming perspective.

Last edited:

GwennieMacrae

On a wide screen 50" it looks ridiculous...
At least with the old version of mtgo, the cards came into play oriented to the left and moved right. So your vision is set to the left anyways...

Your hand is oriented left and moves right as you draw more cards.
When the new client launched in 2011-2012ish... they centered the battlefield but left the hand oriented to the left.
I thought in 10ish years they would have aligned it by now....

Old Client > Focus View is oriented left.

Current Client > Left hand in same position moved battlefield to center.

It's not a huge issue but is easy to change from a programming perspective.

But in your head, removing the chat window is NOT an easy change? And even though "its not a huge issue" you feel justified in suggesting that and centering the stack window AND having them add a "total mana counter"?

And for reals, I'm not even saying your suggestions are dumb. They're not something that concern me really but I mean if that's an option you want, sure, I hope you get your thing. I'm just not sure why you're so adamant against people being able to have the option to opt out of chat.

I mean "Arena does this.. just saying"

Lol for reals though, im not sure if you're just trolling or what. I mean if you, that's cool, I appreciate some casual ribbing and stuff but....im just not sure like where you're coming from tbh.

Eol

Someone likes to put words in my mouth. The answer of course is magic, outside paid play, is a social game, you don't get to choose not to listen, you get to choose not to show up. If you don't like the local culture, feel free to exercise your right to not associate. Once again, verbal communication in an online medium, since they can't do so physically, is the only way to provide an player engaged in antisocial behavior to the community feedback as to their poor behavior. The answer isn't to provide a mechanism to allow those players to continue to undermine the community and wreck it for everyone else but simply keep providing them feedback until they change their antisocial behavior OR find a different venue.

We already have a avenue to address unwarranted harassment, you can file a complaint against them. We don't need other avenues.

PS: If this atrocious feature is developed though btw, it should NOT silently drop but notify the other party they are blocked. Likewise blocks shouldn't be one sided as they are now as it only prevents one from receiving from, but not sending to, to the blocked party. Blocks should be bidrectional even if only on one list, i.e. you can't message them, they can't message you, they can't join your games, you can't join their games.

GwennieMacrae

Someone likes to put words in my mouth. The answer of course is magic, outside paid play, is a social game, you don't get to choose not to listen, you get to choose not to show up. If you don't like the local culture, feel free to exercise your right to not associate. Once again, verbal communication in an online medium, since they can't do so physically, is the only way to provide an player engaged in antisocial behavior to the community feedback as to their poor behavior. The answer isn't to provide a mechanism to allow those players to continue to undermine the community and wreck it for everyone else but simply keep providing them feedback until they change their antisocial behavior OR find a different venue.

We already have a avenue to address unwarranted harassment, you can file a complaint against them. We don't need other avenues.

PS: If this atrocious feature is developed though btw, it should NOT silently drop but notify the other party they are blocked. Likewise blocks shouldn't be one sided as they are now as it only prevents one from receiving from, but not sending to, to the blocked party. Blocks should be bidrectional even if only on one list, i.e. you can't message them, they can't message you, they can't join your games, you can't join their games.

IDK what to say that wouldn't just be repeating myself honey. You feel that "anti-social behaviour" is when a person plays a deck you dont like and you feel that verbal harassment is the only way you can communicate this.

You feel that "If you don't like the local culture, feel free to exercise your right to not associate". But for whatever reason you can't wrap your mind around the same exact concept if someone where to play a deck you don't like. Your mind literally can't comprehend the idea that maybe you could just silently leave the game and choose to not play them again. It's up to your opponents to make sure they don't upset you, it's not up to you to be mature enough to accept that you can't decide what other people can play.

IDK what else to tell you. Again, you're just not a rational person.

Eol

" You feel that "anti-social behaviour" is when a person plays a deck you dont like and you feel that verbal harassment is the only way you can communicate this."

You seem to confuse feedback with harassment. Silent quits accomplish nothing as it doesn't tell you "why" the person quit hence you don't know that it was because of your antisocial behavior. It's the same problem that plagues, for example, job searching. If you have something offensive in your resume but nobody will ever tell you what it is and you keep getting silently dropped (i.e. no call back or "we found a better candidate") then you can't correct it and hence remain unemployed or correct it in the wrong way (change career fields, get additional unnecessary training, etc) when really the only thing you had to do is remove or reword that offensive item.

This isn't offline play, we don't get to punch you in the face, slash your tires, or community ban you from the gaming area. And it's also why you are so hellbent on this feature, feedback is an anathema to you it seems given it's mostly negative as a result of your antisocial behavior given the level of it you receive.

GwennieMacrae

This isn't offline play, we don't get to punch you in the face, slash your tires, or community ban you from the gaming area. And it's also why you are so hellbent on this feature, feedback is an anathema to you it seems given it's mostly negative as a result of your antisocial behavior given the level of it you receive.

Am I wrong in assuming that from your perspective, punching people in the face and slashing their tires in real life over a card game is a fair way of communicating you don't like how they play a card game but simply playing a card game in a way you don't like is "antisocial behaviour"?

Can I just ask again. Is your name "FieryJustice" on MTGO?

Last edited:

Eol

Of course it is, that is how society works, it's called social cues. Generally we prefer those, though I will admit less so each year in the USA, over things like putting someone in prison for the felony of "saying things I don't want to hear". And when social cues are missed, unfortunately things escalate hence why eliminating ways for players to provide non-violent feedback to each other is a problem. Generally the leading cause of violence is disrespect and that overwhelming is the result of marginalization and disrespect hence why keeping avenues of communication for feedback open is important.

It's disingenuous to say a "card game", the same way people when say "game pieces" or "childrens game". There are many people who make their living and feed their families off MTG and MTGO hence the game is as serious to them as to not putting their children on the street to sleep. There are "card games" of magic worth tens of thousands of dollars including on MTGO. How much does the "stick ball" bring in every year?

This "card game" is as serious as life and death for some people. Not everyone has first world problems living the guilded life of a silver spoon.

GwennieMacrae

Of course it is, that is how society works, it's called social cues. Generally we prefer those, though I will admit less so each year in the USA, over things like putting someone in prison for the felony of "saying things I don't want to hear". And when social cues are missed, unfortunately things escalate hence why eliminating ways for players to provide non-violent feedback to each other is a problem. Generally the leading cause of violence is disrespect and that overwhelming is the result of marginalization and disrespect hence why keeping avenues of communication for feedback open is important.

It's disingenuous to say a "card game", the same way people when say "game pieces" or "childrens game". There are many people who make their living and feed their families off MTG and MTGO hence the game is as serious to them as to not putting their children on the street to sleep. There are "card games" of magic worth tens of thousands of dollars including on MTGO. How much does the "stick ball" bring in every year?

This "card game" is as serious as life and death for some people. Not everyone has first world problems living the guilded life of a silver spoon.

Okay....no way. Lol this HAS to be a joke. You're doing a bit, you're just trolling.

There's no way you just said that this game is "as serious as life and death" and implied that unless you can verbally harass someone over this "life or death" card game, that the only other option you have left is actual physical violence. Have you ever assaulted someone IRL over playing Magic? That's an honest question.

If you're actually like this IRL and this isn't just an edgy joke. Honestly....im worried for the people around you.

AEMNIAMFLAREL

I mean tbh I'd GREATLY prefer if the other person NOT be allowed to chat as much as they want if the person they're playing with has the option turned off.

Ideally I'd like it so that choosing the "Allow only buddies" option for chat quiet literally closed the window for BOTH players. I mean why even give the option for someone to chat if they're talking to no one in that sense? I just dont really see what that would accomplish. Like why not just allow players to completely opt out of chat if they wish and have it be clear to the opponent.

Realistically, which of these scenarios makes more sense?

1. Things remain as they are and there is no option at all to turn off chat. You either can remove chat for YOURSELF and the opponent can still talk to you and you receive notifications for everything they say, you just cant see it or respond until you turn that option off OR you turn that option on AND turn off notifications and now you won't even know when friends are talking to you.

2. We settle with some strange middle ground where you still CANT turn off chat, the opponent can still talk and send messages but they won't know that you're not seeing them but they're free to say whatever they want and if they're saying anything inflammatory you'd have to turn the option off to see what they're saying so you can then report them for their misconduct but still can receive notifications from friends.

3. "Allow chats from only buddies" actually works as intended. Unless someone is on your friends list, when they're playing you the chat window is removed from them as well. Neither player has the option for chat, there is no opportunity to say anything. No words are wasted, no need to toggle options on and off, no one even has the chance to say anything inflammatory and if someone wishes to opt out of chat they're free to do so. Friends can still message you, anyone else can not.

I just don't see why people would feel they need to have the option to chat to no one OR in the case of someone like EOL feel that they need to have the option to resort to verbal harassment because "thats what someone deserves" when they don't like what's being played. Like what's the point of leaving people the option to either harass someone OR talk to no one? Why can't we just turn off chat completely?

Arena THANKFULLY currently doesn't allow chat from people who arent on your friends list and tbh, I really like that. Again, if other people want their chat to be open, thats awesome. I hope they enjoy their chat and make friends and all that great stuff, totally. I'd just like to have the option to completely shut chat off for myself personally.
Dude.. your posts are too long...

GwennieMacrae

Dude.. your posts are too long...
I mean you actually already responded to that post with "easier programming that way" and responded to a bunch of posts after that too. I'm not sure why you're going back to that one now or what you feel this post is accomplishing.

Eol

There's no way you just said that this game is "as serious as life and death" and implied that unless you can verbally harass someone over this "life or death" card game, that the only other option you have left is actual physical violence. Have you ever assaulted someone IRL over playing Magic? That's an honest question.

Have I personally did it, no. Have I personally seen it, yes. The world functions on respect and escalation of violence for the most part. You should get out more. Ask yourself about the MTGO streamer who got swatted a couple years ago and almost killed. Or the MTGO sole income grinders in Russia that got banned two years ago and lost their only legitimate income hence couldn't feed their kids anymore. Ask Andrea Mengucci who keeps his beta mint power 9 in a bank vault instead of at home for fear of being robbed by organized crime. Think about the couple guys that got banhammered by Hasbro putting them on the streets homeless. Yeah "magic" is serious for some people and to a life changing level.

GwennieMacrae

Have I personally did it, no. Have I personally seen it, yes. The world functions on respect and escalation of violence for the most part. You should get out more. Ask yourself about the MTGO streamer who got swatted a couple years ago and almost killed. Or the MTGO sole income grinders in Russia that got banned two years ago and lost their only legitimate income hence couldn't feed their kids anymore. Ask Andrea Mengucci who keeps his beta mint power 9 in a bank vault instead of at home for fear of being robbed by organized crime. Think about the couple guys that got banhammered by Hasbro putting them on the streets homeless. Yeah "magic" is serious for some people and to a life changing level.

So for real though, none of what you're saying seems insane to you?

In your head, it is "disrespectful and toxic" that a player might try to win a game BUT it's completely reasonable to assault that player because "The world functions on respect and escalation of violence." And part of the reason this is the case is because a very VERY small % of magic players play professionally?

All of that makes sense in your head? Lol for real....is anyone else seeing this and reading what this guy is saying?

Status
Not open for further replies.