Backlog Tokens creatures don't die with Yawgmoth's Will effect

WhinMTG

Hello,
Yawgmoth's will's oracle text states : "If a card would be put into your graveyard from anywhere this turn, exile that card instead."

As for Leyline of the Void or Dauthi Voidwalker, this implies that tokens should still die even when the effect is ongoing. I noticed that this does not work this way by casting Saw in Half on a creature token which was exiled instead of dying, preventing the full effect of Saw in Half to happend.

I was able to reproduce the bug easily with a solo game.

This line is very significant in combo decks in Duel Commander, currently played in the Freeform Commander zone.

Could you please fix the bug ?
Thank you !

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 5

Neo001992

While testing I managed to find that it seems to be the specific interaction of Saw in Half while the effect of Yawgmoth's Will is active because during my initial test seeing if Yawgmoth's Will was the source of the bug I was still correctly able to draw with Skullclamp off of tokens dying. I then tested again with Saw in Half and Body of Research,, and with the effect of Yawgmoth's Will active Saw in Half incorrectly did not create any tokens. I tested a third time to see if Saw in Half will correctly make copies of tokens at all, and without the effect of Yawgmoth's Will active Saw in Half will correctly make copies of tokens.

Event#268084161 Game#875634136
Event#268084266 Game#875634518
Event#268084375 Game#875634954

MTGO_TonyM

Developer
This is not a bug - Saw if Half specifies that the creature must die this way - but Yawg/Voidwalker exiles them instead, so they never die this way

Whoah

This is not a bug - Saw if Half specifies that the creature must die this way - but Yawg/Voidwalker exiles them instead, so they never die this way
Yawgmoth's Will reads "If a card would be put into your graveyard from anywhere this turn, exile that card instead". Tokens aren't cards and therefore this is a bug.

WhinMTG

As stated above the tokens should still die, this is indeed a bug. I think what I wrote the first time was pretty clear about that ? Thank you for looking into this.