thread_prefix.19 Shifting Grift incorrectly gives swapped creature to owner, not controller

No Game ID

GrahamFoxDelta

Game ID
Grahamfoxdelta
When Shifting Grift is cast and the first mode is chosen to swap control of two creatures, I creature I controlled but did not own was targeted. Instead of me gaining control of the other creature in the swap, the owner of the creature I had stolen instead got the benefit of the swap.

Seems like a clear case of the spell checking the owner and not the controller when making the swap.

Upvote 0

Firedrake

In order to be investigated, this post will need a valid Game ID. IIRC, MTGO_TonyM made a post somewhere that I can't find right now, pointing out the Game ID will be a nine digit number starting with the number 8. This is something Torbin failed to include in his "How to Report a Bug" pin, and probably needs to be added under the Game ID section... in bold... ;)

Neo001992

What Firedrake said, but also I'm not quite sure what you're saying is bugged with the spell.

If you're trying to say that you tried to swap a creature you controlled of you opponents with another creature they owned, expecting to get both of them, that isn't how the spell works.

GrahamFoxDelta

No, that is not what I am saying. That is a very poor read of what was written, Neo.
  1. Opponent A casts Shifting Grift targeting:
    1. Their own creature that they control, Creature 1
    2. Creature 2, a creature controlled by me but owned by Opponent B (I had stolen it from Opponent B previously)
  2. Obviously, a control swap should simply swap the controllers of the two creatures. This did not happen.
    1. In the correct outcome, swapping control would give me Opponent A's creature and Opponent A would receive the creature I controlled (that belonged to Opponent B)
    2. Opponent B would not be involved in the swap, as none of the permanents they controlled were involved.
  3. Instead, Opponent B received Opponent A's old creature and I was left with nothing.
    1. The swap gave Creature 1 to Creature 2's owner instead of Creature 2's controller.