Proposed Event: MTGO Cube Tournament of Champions!

ManaDrainThis

Cube is one of the fastest growing and most popular ways to play MTG, and digitally, this format can only truly be leveraged on MTGO, where players can enjoy a card pool that reflects 30 years of Magic’s history.

What better way to celebrate this popularity than with a competitive online cube tournament!? Here’s a rough sketch of the idea:

Tournament Duration: 9 weeks

MTGO selects 8 carefully curated cubes for the competition, each reflecting a different aspect of the cube community, ranging from high powered, combo focused vintage & legacy cubes, to low powered, combat focused & pauper/peasant options.

Weeks 1-8: Each of the selected cubes is featured exclusively for 1 week on MTGO. Entry is 10 tickets or 100 play points. The top 8 trophy leaders for each of the 8 weekly cubes receive invites to the Week 9 Cube Tournament of Champions!

Week 9: The top 64 participants face off. Each player will be one of the top 8 trophy recipients from the prior 8 weeks. Each player is randomly assigned to a draft pod of one of the 8 featured cubes. The 8 pod winners then proceed to the final, championship cube draft.

Finals: An overall MTGO cube champion will be awarded to the winner of this Top 8 draft of the MTGO Vintage Cube.

Thoughts? I think this would be wildly popular with the community.

theopolist26

Saw this on discord. Great idea, I’d definitely play this. A big tournament like this would be a lot of fun, but even if wotc can’t pull this off, they should for sure have cubes running on mtgo 100% of the time. Cube is simply rhe best way to play magic.

ManaDrainThis

Yeah, previously admins have noted that it’s important to have a break from cube during set releases to drum up interest in the new set launches, which I think is totally reasonable, so 100% of the time might be a stretch.

That said, a 9 week long cube tournament of champions would fit very nicely between two set releases! :p