Not A Bug Mulligans are bugged. This affects every format.

byvci

The steps of the mulligan process in mtgo happens in the wrong order.

How it works in paper:

A player who is dissatisfied with their initial hand may take a mulligan. First, the starting player declares whether they will take a mulligan. Then each other player in turn order does the same. Once each player has made a declaration, all players who decided to take mulligans do so at the same time. To take a mulligan, a player shuffles the cards in their hand back into their library, draws a new hand of cards equal to their starting hand size, then puts a number of those cards equal to the number of times that player has taken a mulligan on the bottom of their library in any order. Once a player chooses not to take a mulligan, the remaining cards become that player’s opening hand, and that player may not take any further mulligans. This process is then repeated until no player takes a mulligan.

Currently, on mtgo a player does not have to choose which cards to put on the bottom of their library until they decide to keep their hand. This means, for example, that if the player on the play chooses to mulligan their 7 and keep their 6, they get to know whether their opponent keeps their 7 before they have to choose which card to put on the bottom of their library. This can be an issue in post sideboard combo matchups, where a player keeping a 7 card hand can reveal significant information. This also has a problematic interaction with serum powder in game 1. In the same example if the player on the draw exiles serum powder then the player on the play will get to see what cards are exiled before they have to choose what card to bottom, allowing them to get rid of a usually good card that is bad in that matchup.

This bug is expecially annoying for the fact that (I assume) you won't be reimbursed for losing a game because of it, as you can't prove that the opponent wouldn't have made the decisions they did without the information they shouldn't have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firedrake

There is also another (perhaps lesser) problem with mulligans on MTGO. Example:

I am playing a Singleton deck. I mulligan my opening hand. I keep the second group, and put one of the cards on the bottom of my library. It is then the first card I draw, with no shuffling having occurred. Happens infrequently, but it happens.

ManaDrainThis

There is also another (perhaps lesser) problem with mulligans on MTGO. Example:

I am playing a Singleton deck. I mulligan my opening hand. I keep the second group, and put one of the cards on the bottom of my library. It is then the first card I draw, with no shuffling having occurred. Happens infrequently, but it happens.
I think your example is actually much more serious of an issue actually.

MTGO_TonyM

Developer
The steps of the mulligan process in mtgo happens in the wrong order.

How it works in paper:

A player who is dissatisfied with their initial hand may take a mulligan. First, the starting player declares whether they will take a mulligan. Then each other player in turn order does the same. Once each player has made a declaration, all players who decided to take mulligans do so at the same time. To take a mulligan, a player shuffles the cards in their hand back into their library, draws a new hand of cards equal to their starting hand size, then puts a number of those cards equal to the number of times that player has taken a mulligan on the bottom of their library in any order. Once a player chooses not to take a mulligan, the remaining cards become that player’s opening hand, and that player may not take any further mulligans. This process is then repeated until no player takes a mulligan.

Currently, on mtgo a player does not have to choose which cards to put on the bottom of their library until they decide to keep their hand. This means, for example, that if the player on the play chooses to mulligan their 7 and keep their 6, they get to know whether their opponent keeps their 7 before they have to choose which card to put on the bottom of their library. This can be an issue in post sideboard combo matchups, where a player keeping a 7 card hand can reveal significant information. This also has a problematic interaction with serum powder in game 1. In the same example if the player on the draw exiles serum powder then the player on the play will get to see what cards are exiled before they have to choose what card to bottom, allowing them to get rid of a usually good card that is bad in that matchup.

This bug is expecially annoying for the fact that (I assume) you won't be reimbursed for losing a game because of it, as you can't prove that the opponent wouldn't have made the decisions they did without the information they shouldn't have.
Nowhere in Magic does anyone have to decide what cards would go on the bottom and then also take another mulligan. It appears a re-wording of the Comp Rules is in order here. MTGO matches Arena in this.

Powder is not problematic it happens whenever a player could mulligan.