Declined Make the Casual 1v1 banlist the same as the paper Duel Commander banlist instead of using the multiplayer one

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only really play casual 1v1 commander because 4 person multiplayer seems to be so laggy on this old client (despite having a strong PC and good internet). Unfortunately there are so many games ruined by all the cards that are banned in the paper 1v1 banlist. Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, Strip Mine, Mana Drain, Jeweled Lotus etc etc etc.

I don't know why playing 1v1 commander in the casual lobbies still uses the multiplayer banlist.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo001992

I'd be all for Duel Commander being a supported format on modo, but leave the 1v1 regular banned list commander alone. 1v1 Commander with the regular banned list is good for quick testing of new decks before going into multiplayer games, and is also still a fun way to play when you don't have an hour of free time. The format being broken is a feature, not a bug.

I'd be all for Duel Commander being a supported format on modo, but leave the 1v1 regular banned list commander alone. 1v1 Commander with the regular banned list is good for quick testing of new decks before going into multiplayer games, and is also still a fun way to play when you don't have an hour of free time. The format being broken is a feature, not a bug.
Nah, the negatives far outweigh that one little positive.

So many games continually ruined by OP swingy cards that shouldn’t exist in 1v1 (absolutely sick of 5 mana commanders being cast on T1 from Jeweled Lotus) …….. vs the slight chance to playtest a MP deck in a 1v1 game?

Making a whole new 1v1 would be way too bloating because then you could potentially play 1v1 in 3 different ways. There should be a 1v1 for competitive commander (like there already is) and 1v1 for casual commanders (with an actual appropriate banlist)

Neo001992

Nah, the negatives far outweigh that one little positive.
That's a matter of opinion, but anecdotally I know a number of players who use 1v1 to test their drafts before moving to multiplayer (with at least one person who only enjoys playing Commander 1v1 with the normal banned list), so I wouldn't call it a small positive as much as I would a feature of the client.

So many games continually ruined by OP swingy cards that shouldn’t exist in 1v1 (absolutely sick of 5 mana commanders being cast on T1 from Jeweled Lotus) …….. vs the slight chance to playtest a MP deck in a 1v1 game?
Yes, 1v1 Commander can be extremely swingy, but in your given example if you had immediately nuked the commander that got Jeweled out early suddenly that opponent is down a card from the Lotus and their commander is functionally gone now unless the game drags on into the late game. Fast mana can very easily spiral 1v1 games to an accelerated conclusion, but the thrill of overcoming a Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, or Jeweled Lotus start from an opponent and winning are exhilarating (in my opinion).

Making a whole new 1v1 would be way too bloating because then you could potentially play 1v1 in 3 different ways. There should be a 1v1 for competitive commander (like there already is) and 1v1 for casual commanders (with an actual appropriate banlist)
I think modo is a pretty dense program in terms of learning curve already, and have faith that people who want to play Duel Commander could figure it out if a room was made exclusively for them. Especially since most of the games I see in the Freeform Commander room are already marked explicitly as being for Duel Commander. I know that 1v1 Commander failed previously on modo, but that format was an original WotC idea and wasn't proper (at the time) French Commander. I'd wager that if proper Duel Commander got support it wouldn't suffer the same fate.

I think you'd get support for Duel Commander getting it's own room within the Commander tab of formats, but I don't think most people want 1v1 commander in the Commander Open Play room to have a different ruleset than regular multiplayer commander.

byvci

Duel commander has different rules (20 starting life and a nerf to partners). The ban list is balanced around that. It doesn't make sense to use in a game with regular commander rules.

Tarasco

I use 1v1 specifically for the situation Neo001992 points out: goldfishing with new decks just to get a feel for them. I would hate to lose that ability.

I use 1v1 specifically for the situation Neo001992 points out: goldfishing with new decks just to get a feel for them. I would hate to lose that ability.

And I use 1v1 specifically for playing 1v1 games, and the format is much worse than it should be because of the banlist.

It's backwards logic anyway, making a whole format much worse just so that a few people can have slightly easier playtesting. I'm sure dropping a few broken banned cards from your multiplayer deck wouldn't be much issue if 1v1 had the proper 1v1 banlist.

There are multiple ways of goldfishing decks online already. Or, you know, just test your multiplayer deck in a multiplayer game.

MTGO_TonyM

Developer
Our preference is to support Duel Commander separately (when we are able to do so), leaving Casual 1v1 to use the multiplayer ban list.

We have no interest in reviving the old Commander 1v1 format and its need to maintain a separate ban list without Studio support.

Our preference is to support Duel Commander separately (when we are able to do so), leaving Casual 1v1 to use the multiplayer ban list.

We have no interest in reviving the old Commander 1v1 format and its need to maintain a separate ban list without Studio support.

Don't get this at all. No one plays duel commander on MTGO, the freeform queues are completely devoid of games.
Instead, the lack of a proper banlist ruins so many casual queue 1v1 games, which plenty of people play. Duel commander (if it's ever supporting it) is basically a cEDH format.

I want to play casual 1v1 games of EDH without sh*t like Jeweled Lotus and Mana Crypt making some games over on the first turn. Can't see the logic here even slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.