Is the LoTR a disaster?

42en

Looks like the LoTR set is exceptionally terrible from a collectors point of view… the art bundles seem to hold terrible value, worst seems the land art bundle which the bots buy for a total of 1 ticket (at a retailprice of 24$+tax???). Even worse, whole value of a collection is significantly negatively effected somehow (according to goatbots collection tracker my collection worth dropped by 5-10% since release)

Except for 3 cards (One Ring, Bowmasters and that mana halfling) the whole set turned to bulk value within 3 days after release.

The One Ring itself feels format warping, at the very least it seems to be everywhere at the moment…

I would consider myself as quite a LoTR nerd myself (even own a very extensive MECCG paper collection myself), but this set doesn‘t quite take off for me.

Was it all just build up and hype? All in all it might be a cool limited set, but the impact the set will have feels really low. Is the set too weak for the formats it is legal in? What am I missing?

ManaDrainThis

Set has has significant Legacy & Modern impact, and has been awesome for cubes. To each their own, but I’m loving it thus far.

42en

Yes, no doubt about it... but from a monetary standpoint it seems like only 3 cards are worth anything (for 5$ a pack this seems really bad), prices keep plummeting and even worse, the whole market seems in a nasty uproar and trending towards a crash... I'm just trying to figure out what is going on.

Is it the combination of showcase, free for all access tokens, overprinting of staples in treasure chests, sets containing only 1 or 2 chase cards, rental services, bot greed exploting fear of missing out or (most likely) a mix of all of this?

Combined with relatively high product price (packs at 5, bundles 15 - 20 with little resale value, entry fees for sealed and draft) it seems strange, that prices tumble THIS fast. Seriously, the set has been out for less than a week now and just look at current prices:

One Ring ~ 90 tix (with a peak at around 120 yesterday before the showcase)
Bowmasters ~ 35 tix (peaked at 80 just on release day, but dropped pretty fast after that)
Delighted Halfling already plummeted to 12 tix (peaked at maybe 35ish, but is much easier replaced in modern if you only want it for the one mana ramp guy).
Samwise still slightly above 2 tix (peaked around 10 on release day)

4 cards between 1 and 2 tix and EVERYTHING else from the set currently under 1 ticket, with the vast majority of the set being pretty much worthless (0.05 and below). In my opinion, this doesn't really strengthen customer confidence into the product.

So the question remains, is it because most of the cards are terrible for the format they are legal in, are they just overprinted, too much product gets opened to get hold of the top chase card and the rest easily discarded? Maybe it is, because there are no more jank lords around who actually want to brew modern with cool build around cards... maybe the client needs a new room for more casual oriented deck builders.

It's simply weird market behaviour I try to understand... I mean, I'm pretty happy that I can get a playset of all but 3 cards for under 50 tickets, don't get me wrong... but it somehow also bothers me, that with each hyped up release the total value of my collection keeps dropping by another 10%.

PhantomNomadMTG

the art bundles seem to hold terrible value, worst seems the land art bundle which the bots buy for a total of 1 ticket (at a retailprice of 24$+tax???)
I think this is what Daybreak could improve actually. If they want to make the special bundle appealing and worth to purchase, the contents should be unique and not possible to open in regular packs/chests. Then they would be relatively scarce and those who want them can purchase from the store.

Overall I am not sure what is going on but it seems like lot of singles are on downward trend in secondary market. Hopefully it is just a phase.

I think this is what Daybreak could improve actually. If they want to make the special bundle appealing and worth to purchase, the contents should be unique and not possible to open in regular packs/chests. Then they would be relatively scarce and those who want them can purchase from the store.

Overall I am not sure what is going on but it seems like lot of singles are on downward trend in secondary market. Hopefully it is just a phase.
as far as I know, the contents of the bundles are already unique and can't be gotten via chests or packs.