Confirmed Amalia loop combo never ends

kukutza

Game ID
I've found this bug while playing Amalia in Pioneer.

When someone buffs amalia or makes wildergrowth indestructible, it becomes an infinite loop that anyone can stop.

You can just keep repeating the loop till you are tired of loosing time and you decide to concede, so you get a loose. It should be a draw.

I hope they can fix this because it can happen in a lot of pairings and it is reallty annoying.

Upvote 3

Neo001992

Can confirm that in solitaire testing that the client appears to let the combo keep running well beyond the point the game could reasonably be called a draw from an unbounded loop.

• 104.4b If a game that’s not using the limited range of influence option (including a two-player game) somehow enters a “loop” of mandatory actions, repeating a sequence of events with no way to stop, the game is a draw. Loops that contain an optional action don’t result in a draw.
Event#267739789 Game#874341816

kukutza

So maybe we should just mill our entire deck so we dont have the option of putting the top card into graveyard?

Neo001992

So maybe we should just mill our entire deck so we dont have the option of putting the top card into graveyard?
The Explore mechanic does not require cards to be in your library to work, see 701.40b.

• 701.40a Certain abilities instruct a permanent to explore. To do so, that permanent’s controller reveals the top card of their library. If a land card is revealed this way, that player puts that card into their hand. Otherwise, that player puts a +1/+1 counter on the exploring permanent and may put the revealed card into their graveyard.
  • 701.40b A permanent “explores” after the process described in rule 701.40a is complete, even if some or all of those actions were impossible.

You are required to mill your deck with the amalia combo before the game can be a draw.
The combo creates a loop with three cards involved - Amalia, Wildgrowth Walker, and the top card of your library, therefore you have an option to end the loop by putting the top card into the graveyard and are obligated to eventually do so. This will create a new loop involving Amalia, Wildgrowth and the new top card which you will eventually be obligated to mill again. Once your library is empty there is no longer a way to break the loop and so the game is a draw.

MTGO_TonyM

Developer
How many iterations are y'all seeing? When we last fixed this, we set it to 30 iterations before a draw is detected.

Neo001992

How many iterations are y'all seeing? When we last fixed this, we set it to 30 iterations before a draw is detected.
Sorry this took so long to reply, I didn't notice when you added to this thread originally.

I set this test up again to count how many times the trigger would go past there being 0 cards in the library, and I was able to go well past 30 iterations and the solitaire game never detected a loop.

Event#268160573 Game#875923946