Add an archive for cards in collection

42en

The more cards that get added, the slower the client seems to get. And in addition, I'm a person who likes to hoard cards. That's particularly bad on mtgo, as it seems the problem with a slow and unstable client gets even worse, the more cards I have in my collection. Also even worse, I like foils... my client is becoming VERY slow (and I only have slightly over 100.000 items in my collection), and I already have disabled foil animation... it's coming to a point where I need to decide how to proceed with my collection. I'm even considering a second account to move all the bulk to (I'd rather not have to do that, as I still like to keep the stuff together).

But, as a matter of fact, I and probably most other people who try to own a copy of each and every digital mtg card, only play a handful of those 100.000 cards.

Thus, here's my suggestion:

Do what you would do in real life with all the chaff and bulk... Add digital shoe boxes where you can shove all your bulk into (without making a 2nd account for that), sort of like an archive you can still access, but that doesn't get automatically drawn into game memory each and every time you start the client. I don't need those 3000 basic lands of each type ALL the time (but it's still nice to have them, just in case). Same is true for all those commons and uncommons from formats that never see play. Nice to have them, but you don't really need them. Shove them into the digital shoe box, browse it when you are bored, but don't load it every time you want to get a game in.

Might be a bit of work to sort the stuff into the boxes manually, but it's a satisfying task for people who like to build up collections to put the stuff into an archive, they know they can access later on.

I think that this could really be a great addition.

Opinions? Just a pipe dream or something that could be added at some point?

42en

Thinking about it a bit more... we already have the option to add different kinds of Binders and add new boxes.

Two of those binders that always show up are the Full Trade List and the Wish List. Having a Shoe box / Archive binder as a 3rd option would totally make sense. You could place cards from the display window into that Binder, and they basically would be stored in there until either the full trade list or the archive gets opened.

ManaDrainThis

I think you should def just create a 2nd acct. one acct for the collection, the other for playing the game. I don’t think MTGO’s memory leak issues or slowdowns due to huge numbers of decks or cards are feasibly solvable for such an old program.

42en

Yeah, that's what I actually did today... opened up my 2nd account just for the sake of having a place to store my collection... bad about this is, how tedious it is to trade in batches of 400 cards. Even worse is, that after finishing one trade, I have to shut down my old account with the task manager, because it is stuck on the trade confirmed window somehow... doesn't happen when trading with bots, just with the trading between my two accounts. The other one works well and is stable... and it is amazing how much faster the new account with only now 11k cards operates compared to the old account with over 100k cards.

Getting all the unplayed chaff and bulk over to the other account will at least keep me occupied for some more hours...

PhantomNomadMTG

Second account is a workaround. Would be great to be able to keep all the cards with you in one account in a way where it does not affect performance. I like the binder idea.