200+ Card Decks In Modern

GwennieMacrae

Okay, lemme start this off by saying I fully get this sound a lil crazy and it could just be coincidence or whatever.

But has anyone else noticed when they're playing these huge decks in Modern that their draws are PERFECT? Like to where you could almost predict what they're gonna play because they always have the exact card they need, never miss a land drop, run 5 colours and 250 cards in their deck yet somehow manage to have the perfect mana for anything they can cast and have an answer for every thing you play all while dropping the best threats they can drop on curve. It almost feels as if they're not only tutoring every draw but even able to altar cards already in their hand so that they're never without the perfect response. I've seen 250+ Battle Of Wits deck get their BoW on turn 3, no tutors.

And yes of course I understand "thats just the luck of the draw" and all that. But I honestly rarely see 60 card decks having that level of literally perfect consistency.

I'm honestly more just asking if anyone else has experienced this or noticed this weird phenomenon with these decks.

Firedrake

Why, yes, someone else HAS noticed:
oh, wait...

Seriously, I've played guys with 500-600 card decks who can pull off a Turn 5 or 6 win pretty consistently. And they get pretty salty if you're able to stretch the game out past Turn 12, accusing you of wasting their time. Why did you build a 600 card deck if you're only going to be around 6 turns?
Personally, I think any deck over 250 cards ought to be 5-color (not this 300-card Orzhov Lifegain crap - speaking of wasting my time...), and preferably Singleton. (Yeah, Prismatic Singleton. I'm lookin' right at you, Old Schoolers.)

So yeah, I've seen the decks of which you speak. Plenty. Just drop a Shared fate and see how fast they scoop.

GwennieMacrae

Why, yes, someone else HAS noticed:
oh, wait...

Seriously, I've played guys with 500-600 card decks who can pull off a Turn 5 or 6 win pretty consistently. And they get pretty salty if you're able to stretch the game out past Turn 12, accusing you of wasting their time. Why did you build a 600 card deck if you're only going to be around 6 turns?
Personally, I think any deck over 250 cards ought to be 5-color (not this 300-card Orzhov Lifegain crap - speaking of wasting my time...), and preferably Singleton. (Yeah, Prismatic Singleton. I'm lookin' right at you, Old Schoolers.)

So yeah, I've seen the decks of which you speak. Plenty. Just drop a Shared fate and see how fast they scoop.
Lol yeah, admittedly I am repeating myself a bit here. I just hadn't played modern in a bit and was like "Oh yeah! I forget this is a thing!" when I had played again recently and noticed the same sort of decks.

And yeah, idk it's weird. Like, I'm not trying to say that the reason people play these 200+ card decks is because they actually are using some sort of cheat/hack that allows them to tutor instead of drawing and they have 200+ card decks so they could have an answer to everything and the big deck size doesn't matter cause drawing isn't random for them buuuuut, lol it sure feels like that sometimes. And it happens enough to where it stands out and seems weird.

I do LOVE the Shared Fate idea though. I actually do have a Shared Fate deck cause it's such a fun and silly card, maybe I'll try it sometime.