Very slow loading times and lag in-game.

Discordant

Hello,

For the past few days I've been experiencing very slow loading times when I log in and almost unplayable lag during matches(caused a loss or two due to timing out).
I have tried reinstalling, running the tracert (gets unresponsive after the 13th ping). My PC and my internet connection are otherwise working properly.

Tracert log:
1 2 ms <1 ms 1 ms modemtim.homenet.telecomitalia.it [192.168.1.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 8 ms 7 ms 8 ms 172.17.128.26
4 12 ms 10 ms 10 ms 172.17.128.88
5 13 ms 11 ms 13 ms 172.19.184.56
6 19 ms 19 ms 22 ms 172.19.177.18
7 15 ms 15 ms 15 ms 195.22.196.170
8 * 17 ms 17 ms 195.22.212.149
9 17 ms 18 ms 27 ms 195.22.212.223
10 279 ms 276 ms 282 ms ae1.3502.edge8.Denver1.level3.net [4.69.219.70]
11 181 ms 182 ms 185 ms SWITCH-COMM.edge8.Denver1.Level3.net [4.53.6.226]
12 257 ms 263 ms 263 ms hu0-2-0-0.las-n10s1-core1.switch.com [66.209.64.93]
13 182 ms 180 ms 184 ms be11011.las-agg7s3-1.switch.com [66.209.72.14]
14 * * * Request timed out.

I wonder if there is a solution for this, thank you in advance for your responses.

rmarsigli

Hey guys, how's it going? I'm facing a lot of lag/connection problems since the server change. I can't finish a match (lost in time) and the login is more (a lot more) slowly than normal. I had:

1 - reinstalled the game;
2 - Tried a VPN;
3 - Check internet problems;
4 - Check Windows status, memory usage, network usage (all ok, my notebook is an Asus 20gb RAM 512ssd, 600mb internet connection);
5 - Tried online support (they told me to try here).

Here's my tracert image: https://prnt.sc/emsy33uVFSAq

I just don't know what to do... Have a lot of cards in my account but can't play a bo3 match.

Thanks!!

Tweaker

I'd like to report a very odd behavior on my computer with regards to the load time of MTGO.

Fresh installation of Magic Online. Log in. It takes around 20 seconds to have the [LOADING MAGIC ONLINE] window disappear. I do not click on any of the menu options, close MTGO by hitting the [X] in the upper right hand corner. Launch Magic Online. Log in. Now it takes 1 minute 50 seconds to have the [LOADING MAGIC ONLINE] window disappear.

I can repeat this entire process over and over with the same slow loading result after the first successful login. Why is this happening? The expected result should be around 20 seconds just like the first time, yes? Can anyone else confirm this experience? Please help me with this issue. I'm happy to provide anything about the system to help get this behavior corrected.

ManaDrainThis

I think this is normal behavior for an old, bulky program. Mine usually takes a couple minutes to load as well, although my laptop is slow and old too so who knows. Others have reported this in the past, so I think it’s pretty routine.

Tweaker

Is it just the nature of the application or could there actually be an issue that could be resolved with a little TLC? Seems like if its a known issue, maybe that issue could be looked at. Especially for a first time experience with MTGO, its super great. The next time you log in, you're presented with almost a different experience because of the load time.

MTGO_TonyM

Developer
Definitely recommend not clicking anywhere inside the client before the Loading Magic Online window goes away. We will investigate this again - we were able to get some small tweaks in recently but load time still isn't where we want it to be.

Tweaker

Thank you MTGO_TonyM and to your team for looking into this. We hope that in the near future we will see vast improvements for load times.

My experience has been the exact opposite. Just this morning, I timed out of a game. Again. This never used to occur. It took up to 30 seconds between when I clicked an action and the action happened. My internet connection is very fast.

MTGO_TonyM

Developer
My experience has been the exact opposite. Just this morning, I timed out of a game. Again. This never used to occur. It took up to 30 seconds between when I clicked an action and the action happened. My internet connection is very fast.
We'll need some repro steps or certain cards that may be causing it (this includes cards present in sideboards)

I guarantee you that Horizon Canopy (Future Sight) is absolutely one of the cards that is causing it. I also believe Tarmogoyf and Narcomoeba are also causing this problem. It seems related to Future Sight cards. There have been at least three users who have opened tickets for those cards, yet WOTC keeps closing the tickets as "unreproducable".

Angeliana

Senior Community Manager
Community Team
I guarantee you that Horizon Canopy (Future Sight) is absolutely one of the cards that is causing it. I also believe Tarmogoyf and Narcomoeba are also causing this problem. It seems related to Future Sight cards. There have been at least three users who have opened tickets for those cards, yet WOTC keeps closing the tickets as "unreproducable".
It is deemed "Unable to reproduce" as it cannot be reproduced on demand given the steps provided, which is why Tony requested repro steps. The more detail the user experiencing the issue can go into and provide, the better chance the issue can be reproduced on demand, the underlying problem found, and a resolution found.

P.S. This is not WotC, it is Daybreak games. MTGO has been with DBG since October 18, 2022. You can read more about it here: https://www.mtgo.com/news/mtgo-stateofmtgo-10112022

Not really an excuse. It could be a Microsoft bug but because your game is running on Microsoft (or in this case, Daybreak), you are responsible for fixing it.

This has gone on far too long. This should be a top priority. I've been afraid to enter a tournament for months for fear of timing out and I can't be the only one.