Not A Bug Suppression Ray doesn't allow me to stun already tapped creature

tmile77

I may be wrong about the ruling on this, but I thought that the Suppression Ray should allow you to tap the already-tapped opponent's creatures (e.g., creatures that attacked on the previous opponent's turn). This would then allow you to pay 1 energy to also stun that creature (thus preventing him to attack on the next turn). However, despite having enough energy, I was not able to stun the previously tapped creature. I was able to tap and then stun all the other creatures.

Firedrake

I'm not a rules guru, but Suppression Ray reads, "choose up to X creatures tapped this way..." The already-tapped creature wasn't "tapped this way" so that may be where the problem lies.

Neo001992

Firedrake is correct on this, and the release notes for MH3 also call this out specifically.

• "Creatures tapped this way" means creatures that became tapped as a result of Suppression Ray's effect, not creatures that were already tapped before Suppression Ray began to resolve. For example, if a player controls two tapped creatures and one untapped creature and you cast Suppression Ray targeting that player, you'll only be able to choose the creature that was untapped to get a stun counter (as long as you paid at least one {E}).

Torbin

Staff member
Community Team
Tag applied: Not A Bug
Testing applied: With a game setup including a few creature, Twiddle was used to tap some of the creatures and then Suppression Ray was cast to tap the rest and with it's second ability tried to add a counter to creatures that were not tapped this way.
Test Results: The second ability of Suppression Ray could only affect creatures tapped with the first part of the spell's ability.

Suppression Ray works as intended as stated by the rules.

• "Creatures tapped this way" means creatures that became tapped as a result of Suppression Ray's effect, not creatures that were already tapped before Suppression Ray began to resolve. For example, if a player controls two tapped creatures and one untapped creature and you cast Suppression Ray targeting that player, you'll only be able to choose the creature that was untapped to get a stun counter (as long as you paid at least one {E})