Not A Bug "Sorry, Magic Online has encountered an error."

Firedrake

Since Daybreak Games has taken over, I receive the Subject error about every other match. Previously, it was maybe once every other day. Today, however, I got it in my first 3 matches, and 4 of the first 5. I kept changing decks to see if it was something on my end, but my opponent may have been using the same deck every match. These are the game numbers. Please let me know if there is a card in any of the decks causing this crash. Thanx!

MTGO_TonyM

Developer
The crashes are apparently causing us to be unable to watch replay. Do you happen to recall what the last card your opponent played was? Are you crashing against other opponents as well?

Firedrake

It just happened again. I print-screened the board state, but I can't figure out how to insert the shot from my PC. It seems to only accept URLs.

My opponent had just flown over for 9 damage with Akroma, Angel of Wrath and Angel's Tomb, leaving me at 10 life. The Game Log (Game # 818497180) indicates it is now my turn, but the Phase Ladder shows the game is still at his Damage phase. Then we got the Subject error message.
Game 1 of this Match DID complete (Match # 253843918 - Game # 818493754). But I am unable to Replay that one, either.

EDIT: I DID get the broken game to start a Replay. It just took about 4 minutes for it to start. I should mention these are Big Deck matches, but that has never caused these type errors before Oct. 25th. It just takes about 8 minutes to come back from Sideboarding, and that didn't start until Ikoria was released. (I blame it on Companions, but I'm not sure why they would slow down the loading of the game.)

I have been paying attention to what cards / actions are in play when this happens, and so far this week, it's never involved the same cards twice. It can happen during combat, at end of turn, when a creature goes to the graveyard... just whenever. But never while a spell is being cast, at least the last 6 or 7 times.
I've not been able to discern any rhyme or reason. Some errors you see with the same card a few times, so you know what's causing it. This does not appear to be one of those.

But I will add it hasn't happened against any other opponents this week, so it is probably something in his deck. We're just not sure how to figure out what.

Last edited:

Firedrake

OK, finished the Replay, and the error doesn't show up in the Replay. It continues on to my turn, and then the Replay exits. (We had abandoned the game after getting the error.)

Firedrake

This game only made it to Turn 2, and bottomed out mid-attack.
Match # 2538633999 - Game # 818573838

7:57 AM: Firedrake rolled a 5.
7:57 AM: *opponent* rolled a 3.
7:57 AM: Firedrake joined the game.
7:58 AM: Firedrake chooses to play first.
7:58 AM: Firedrake begins the game with seven cards in hand.
7:58 AM: *opponent* mulligans to six cards.
7:58 AM: *opponent* puts a card on the bottom of their library and begins the game with six cards in hand.
7:58 AM: Turn 1: Firedrake
7:58 AM: Firedrake skips their draw step.
7:58 AM: Firedrake plays Snow-Covered Plains.
7:58 AM: Firedrake casts Thraben Inspector.
7:58 AM: Firedrake puts triggered ability from Thraben Inspector onto the stack (When Thraben Inspector enters the battlefield, investigate.).
7:58 AM: Firedrake investigates.
7:58 AM: Firedrake's Thraben Inspector creates a Clue Token.
7:59 AM: Turn 1: *opponent*
8:00 AM: *opponent* plays Cloudpost.
8:00 AM: Turn 2: Firedrake
8:01 AM: Firedrake plays Mountain.
8:02 AM: Firedrake casts Skirk Prospector.
8:03 AM: *opponent* is being attacked by Thraben Inspector
8:03 AM: Sorry, Magic Online has encountered an error...

Firedrake

Have started 5 Freeform matches today, and all but 1 have error-ed out during mulligan, before turn 1. The one that didn't, did so at the start of game 2. When we let "the system attempt to replay to its last known stable state and retry" the same thing happens.

Did not get the problem in the one Legacy match I played.

Firedrake

OK, we switched to Vintage and new decks, and were OK for about a week. But today, this error has reared its ugly head in Vintage, too.
Event 254229683, Game ID 819990640
Event 254230120, Game ID 819991164

Firedrake

Again today! Playing Vintage, both players using totally new decks. Both decks are under 1000 cards. Game numbers: