Sanctifier en-Vec exile mechanic

CrazyTastic

I recently posted what I thought was a bug that was labeled not bug and I'd like to get some feedback on my understanding of how it should work.
The line of text in question is:
"If a black or red permanent, spell, or card not on the battlefield would be put into a graveyard, exile it instead."
I had a black creature on the battlefield that I sacrificed, and it was exiled.
As I understand it there is no transition phase if a creature dies of damage, is destroyed, or is sacrificed between the battlefield and the graveyard.
My understanding is that if a black or red card goes from the battlefield to the graveyard, it should not be exiled. They took the time to specify the battlefield condition so I would image this is an exception. If not, why word it this way when there historical terminology?

Other cards that exile in all conditions state "from anywhere" in the text. Examples are
Dauthi Voidwalker: "If a card would be put into an opponent's graveyard from anywhere, instead exile it..." (note, same set release)
Leyline of the Void: "If a card would be put into an opponent's graveyard from anywhere, exile it instead"
Rest in Peace: "If a card or token would be put into graveyard from anywhere, exile it instead"

Am I missing something?
Are there other examples of this sort of wording that I'm missing?
I tried looking for Sanctifier en-Ven rulings on this, and didn't find any.

Original post: https://forums.mtgo.com/index.php?threads/sanctifier-en-vec-exiles-when-i-dont-think-it-should.273/

CrazyTastic

Got my answer somewhere else.
Main thing is "not on the battlefield" is not a descriptor, "card not on the battlefield" is the final list item.
The other thing is that permanent is defined as "a card or token on the battlefield". Knowing this means that my initial reading understanding was paradoxical, as a permanent can't not be on the battlefield.

Mikey

hey
Anafenza, the Foremost, uses this templating in her errata

I can't say for certain but I would guess it's because a creature is a creature on the battlefield, not a creature card

Syr Konrad, the Grim uses similar wording but they actually spelled out "anywhere other than the battlefield" instead of "not on the battlefield" this time for some reason

Glad you were able to figure out and I hope these examples help you remember/understand a little bit deeper