Backlog Puca's Mischief Fails to See Nonland Permanents opponent Controls played before Mischief ETB.

Screenshot or Video
  1. 1 or more
I wanted to make a silly deck with Greed's Gambit and Puca's Mischief. However in the process of playtesting, I found a bug that made the deck unviable.
When determining if it's trigger should be put onto the stack, Puca's Mischief fails to see nonland permanents opponents control that entered the battlefield before Mischief entered the battlefield. For example, if opponent has a resolved grizzly bears in play, and I control bear cub, then I resolve Puca's Mischief, during my next upkeep, Mischief will fail to see that the two bears can be swapped, and it's ability won't go onto the stack. If my opponent then resolves Balduvian bears, on my next upkeep I would be able to swap my bear cub for their balduvian bears or grizzly bears.

Once new nonland permanents etb under opponent's control, Mischief resolves properly, correctly seeing all valid targets for it's ability. Upon removal of these permanents, Mischief once again fails to trigger even if legal targets are present under both player's control. (I think, not enough playtesting so far)

There was another bug that may or may not be related: I swapped my pentad prism for my opponent's morphed creature. In response, my opponent unmorphed, revealing vein ripper. Upon resolution, Mischeif failed to swap the two creatures.

Upvote 2
I really want to play this deck its so cool to give opponents greed's gambit. But i realize puca's mischief is probably not high up on the list of priorities for the mtgo team, and that they have alot of work going on rn 😭

Neo001992

There was another bug that may or may not be related: I swapped my pentad prism for my opponent's morphed creature. In response, my opponent unmorphed, revealing vein ripper. Upon resolution, Mischeif failed to swap the two creatures.
The rest of this post looks like Puca's Mischief is bugged, but this part in particular is correct behavior. When your opponent flipped the Vein Ripper face up it no longer met the targeting conditions of Puca's Mischief trying to swap a two mana value permanent and the exchange failed to happened as a result.

From the rulings on Puca's Mischief:
  • If either one of the targets becomes illegal (because it leaves the battlefield or for any other reason) by the time the ability resolves, the exchange won’t happen. If both targets become illegal, the ability doesn’t resolve.(2008-05-01)

The rest of this post looks like Puca's Mischief is bugged, but this part in particular is correct behavior. When your opponent flipped the Vein Ripper face up it no longer met the targeting conditions of Puca's Mischief trying to swap a two mana value permanent and the exchange failed to happened as a result.

From the rulings on Puca's Mischief:
  • If either one of the targets becomes illegal (because it leaves the battlefield or for any other reason) by the time the ability resolves, the exchange won’t happen. If both targets become illegal, the ability doesn’t resolve.(2008-05-01)
i mistyped it wasn't vein ripper it was ruthless ripper. Sorry about that. I think with a 1 mana creature, the swap should have completed?