Fixed Fable of the Mirror Breaker and changing control

DismalToken

Reflection of Kiki-Jiki’s delayed trigger is handled incorrectly when the Reflection of Kiki-Jiki changed control before the delayed trigger is put on the stack. MTGO creates the trigger under the control of the player who currently controls the Reflection of Kiki-Jiki, not under control of the player who initially activated the Reflection of Jiki-Kiki. I believe this is incorrect because of this rule:
603.7e If an activated or triggered ability creates a delayed triggered ability, the source of that delayed triggered ability is the same as the source of that other ability. The controller of that delayed triggered ability is the player who controlled that other ability as it resolved.

Here was the situation my friend was in:
-Player 1 controls an untapped non-summoning sick Reflection of Kiki-Jiki and a Goblin Welder.
-Player 2 casts Gilded Drake targeting the Reflection of Kiki-Jiki.
-Before the Gilded Drake trigger resolves, Player 1 activates the Reflection of Kiki-Jiki targeting Goblin Welder and Successfully makes a copy of it.
-The Gilded Drake ability resolves. Player 1 now controls a Gilded Drake, a Goblin Welder, and copy of Goblin Welder with haste. Player 2 controls the tapped summoning sick Reflection of Kiki-Jiki.
-Player 2 moved to their end step and MTGO created the delayed trigger to sacrifice the Goblin Welder token, but it created the trigger under Player 2’s control. Since Player 2 does not control the Goblin Welder token, they are not allowed to sacrifice it, so the token did not die. The trigger should have been controlled by Player 1, who initially activated the Reflection of Kiki-Jiki ability, meaning they should have had to sacrifice the Goblin Welder token.

Unsure if this bug occurs with any gain control effects (like Sower of Temptation) and also unsure if it occurs with other delayed trigger copy effects (like Splinter Twin or Kiki-Jiki Mirror Breaker) or if the bug is specifically just with Reflection of Kiki-Jiki and/or Gilded Drake.

I’m working on getting the match number and game number from my friend since the screenshot he sent has it just barely cut off. If it helps, it was in a Legacy league match between samus_ssp (who was Player 1) and Archedeight (who was Player 2). https://www.reddit.com/r/mtg/comments/ytb6z7

Last edited by a moderator:

fireshoes

I agree with this bug. The player who activated Reflection of Kiki-Jiki should control the delayed sacrifice trigger, even though they don't control Reflection anymore. Here is a screenshot and game log from a similar situation, where Reflection was taken with The Akroan War.
Fkoe5cLWAAAAR6B

FkofAoBXgAMrSXF