Fixed Error installing new MTGO: URLDownloadToCacheFile failed with HRESULT '-2146697208'

rnelson

Hello, I am getting the following error installing the new MTGO. I have tried multiple times:

1. Uninstalled MTGO via the Windows 10 add/remove programs
  2. Cleared the ClickOnce Cache
  3. Restarted the computer multiple time
  4. Downloaded setup.exe from here https://www.mtgo.com/en/mtgo
  5. Ran setup.exe (both as a regular user and as an admin)
  6. Reset Windows 'Internet Options'
  7. Disabled firewall/antivirus
  8. Even after following the previous steps, I get the following error:
    An error occurred trying to download 'http://mtgo.patch.daybreakgames.com/patch/mtg/live/client/MTGO.application'.

See the setup log file located at 'C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDBE46.tmp\install.log' for more information.

This is the log:
Code:
The following properties have been set:
Property: [AdminUser] = true {boolean}
Property: [InstallMode] = HomeSite {string}
Property: [NTProductType] = 1 {int}
Property: [ProcessorArchitecture] = AMD64 {string}
Property: [VersionNT] = 10.0.0 {version}
Running checks for package 'Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 (x86 and x64)', phase BuildList
Reading value 'Release' of registry key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full'
Read integer value 528372
Setting value '528372 {int}' for property 'DotNetFull_Release'
Reading value 'v4' of registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\OS Integration'
Read integer value 1
Setting value '1 {int}' for property 'DotNetFull_OSIntegrated'
The following properties have been set for package 'Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 (x86 and x64)':
Property: [DotNetFull_OSIntegrated] = 1 {int}
Property: [DotNetFull_Release] = 528372 {int}
Running checks for command 'DotNetFX472\NDP472-KB4054530-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe'
Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'InstallMode' and value 'HomeSite': true
Result of checks for command 'DotNetFX472\NDP472-KB4054530-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe' is 'Bypass'
Running checks for command 'DotNetFX472\NDP472-KB4054531-Web.exe'
Result of running operator 'ValueNotEqualTo' on property 'InstallMode' and value 'HomeSite': false
Result of running operator 'ValueGreaterThan' on property 'DotNetFull_Release' and value '461808': true
Result of checks for command 'DotNetFX472\NDP472-KB4054531-Web.exe' is 'Bypass'
'Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 (x86 and x64)' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
Launching Application.
URLDownloadToCacheFile failed with HRESULT '-2146697208'
Error: An error occurred trying to download 'http://mtgo.patch.daybreakgames.com/patch/mtg/live/client/MTGO.application'.

Aldreen

I also had this problem.

I followed the advice in the thread below, and set "DisableCachingOfSSLPages"=dword:00000000 registry key. Now I'm getting a different error, which persists even after reverting the registry entry. It seems like I am able to download the application though, getting further into the process than I was when I was stuck at your error.

My current error:
PLATFORM VERSION INFO
Windows : 10.0.19043.0 (Win32NT)
Common Language Runtime : 4.0.30319.42000
System.Deployment.dll : 4.8.4270.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
clr.dll : 4.8.4515.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
dfdll.dll : 4.8.4270.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C

SOURCES
Deployment url : http://mtgo.patch.daybreakgames.com/patch/mtg/live/client/MTGO.application

ERROR SUMMARY
Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
* Activation of http://mtgo.patch.daybreakgames.com/patch/mtg/live/client/MTGO.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
+ Lock timeout exception.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
* [10/25/2022 11:15:34 PM] : Activation of http://mtgo.patch.daybreakgames.com/patch/mtg/live/client/MTGO.application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
Following errors were detected during this operation.
* [10/25/2022 11:17:34 PM] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentException (LockTimeout)
- Lock timeout exception.
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.LockedFile.AcquireLock(String path, TimeSpan timeout, Boolean writer)
at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore..ctor(String deployPath, String tempPath, ComponentStoreType storeType)
at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.get_CurrentUser()
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl, Uri& deploymentUri)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivationWithRetry(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivationWithRetry(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
No transaction information is available.

My install logfile:
The following properties have been set:
Property: [AdminUser] = true {boolean}
Property: [InstallMode] = HomeSite {string}
Property: [NTProductType] = 1 {int}
Property: [ProcessorArchitecture] = AMD64 {string}
Property: [VersionNT] = 10.0.0 {version}
Running checks for package 'Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 (x86 and x64)', phase BuildList
Reading value 'Release' of registry key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full'
Read integer value 528372
Setting value '528372 {int}' for property 'DotNetFull_Release'
Reading value 'v4' of registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\OS Integration'
Read integer value 1
Setting value '1 {int}' for property 'DotNetFull_OSIntegrated'
The following properties have been set for package 'Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 (x86 and x64)':
Property: [DotNetFull_OSIntegrated] = 1 {int}
Property: [DotNetFull_Release] = 528372 {int}
Running checks for command 'DotNetFX472\NDP472-KB4054530-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe'
Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'InstallMode' and value 'HomeSite': true
Result of checks for command 'DotNetFX472\NDP472-KB4054530-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe' is 'Bypass'
Running checks for command 'DotNetFX472\NDP472-KB4054531-Web.exe'
Result of running operator 'ValueNotEqualTo' on property 'InstallMode' and value 'HomeSite': false
Result of running operator 'ValueGreaterThan' on property 'DotNetFull_Release' and value '461808': true
Result of checks for command 'DotNetFX472\NDP472-KB4054531-Web.exe' is 'Bypass'
'Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 (x86 and x64)' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
Launching Application.
Application appears to be an application manifest
Launching application manifest via dfshim

rnelson

I also had this problem.

I followed the advice in the thread below, and set "DisableCachingOfSSLPages"=dword:00000000 registry key. Now I'm getting a different error, which persists even after reverting the registry entry. It seems like I am able to download the application though, getting further into the process than I was when I was stuck at your error.

My current error:

My install logfile:
Thanks for the suggestion. I already had that set to 0/false in the registry.

I tried the other suggestions in the stackoverflow link (add daybreakgames to trusted Sites, run 'Troubleshoot Compatability' on setup.exe), but I still get the same error.