Confirmed Daze is bugged: You have to choose "no" for two times to get countered

nagizero

Daze has been bugged for a while: when your spell gets dazed and you do not pay the {1} for it, you press the "no" button. Normally, this shall get the spell countered immediately. But now when you choose "no", the same choice will pop up again, and you have to press the new "no" button for a second time.
I think the bug has been around for about 2 months. Please be informed!

Upvote 26

MTGO_TonyM

Developer
The way we understand this bug is that it doesn't materially affect gameplay - that is, if you pay the mana you aren't prompted a second time. Is that correct?

Zarathulhu

This is just a copy of the other bug about how "unless player X (opponent) pays mana". It affects Mystic remora, rhystic study, esper sentinel, and Smothering tithe, and many others. Should just be one super bug (that has been around the last 2-3 months). And yes it affects gameplay. Pershaps a non-player like a developer would not understand that. But clicking and extra 100-200 times for me, and for player 2, and for player 3, when the client is already 10 years out of date (was out of date before it's release. shiny/v3) it majorly affects gameplay.
All these cards are commander staples. You want to be a commander platform? You can't leave commander staples busted like that forever. Already bad enough with how many commander staples stopped working last month.

ManaDrainThis

In addition to Daze, Smothering Tithe, Rhystic Study, Mystic Remora, Esper Sentinel, etc. I can confirm this bug also affects Spell Pierce.

Akaleth

The way we understand this bug is that it doesn't materially affect gameplay - that is, if you pay the mana you aren't prompted a second time. Is that correct?
I have found a subsequent issue related to this that does materially affect gameplay.

When playing against a Tabernacle, I declined the first prompt to pay for my creature A. I then floated mana, intending to pay for my other creature B, but before I had declined the second prompt for creature A. When I declined the second prompt for creature A, the floating mana disappeared from my mana pool, despite not being used on anything, and creature A still died.

Event #254630172, Game #821540456

Last edited:

ManaDrainThis

Also this bug affects all the counterspells that require a player to pay mana to prevent their spell from being countered. So in addition to Daze & Spell Pierce it also impacts Mystic Confluence, Force Spike, Miscalculation, and a bunch more like that.

MTGO_TonyM

Developer
Moving to Backlog for now, but leaving here for additional upvotes

This fix is projected to require about a week's worth of one dev's time, which we can't spare until we've hired and trained enough folks to get up to full strength. That process will take a couple months at least.

Any effect that gives you the ability to pay mana to ignore, such as Ward 2 or Mana Leak/No More Lies type counter spells, always requires you to click "Ok" twice, whether you're paying for it or not. This has been persistent in the game for as long as I can remember but with Disguise now it's particularly prevalent and annoying.

Firedrake

The "Are you sure? Click twice to proceed" undocumented feature has also become an issue with Suspended creatures. I don't play much Suspend, but I played against a guy who failed to un-Suspend his Riftwing Cloudskate twice in three games. I didn't even realize you could opt to not un-Suspend a suspended spell. But in a later game, I suspended a Lotus Bloom, and almost clicked No when the time to cast it came. And after getting past the two NO options, I didn't see the Bloom come up in its own separate window like it used to. I found in in my Exiled pile to click on it. Takes some getting used to.

Neo001992

The "Are you sure? Click twice to proceed" undocumented feature has also become an issue with Suspended creatures. I don't play much Suspend, but I played against a guy who failed to un-Suspend his Riftwing Cloudskate twice in three games. I didn't even realize you could opt to not un-Suspend a suspended spell. But in a later game, I suspended a Lotus Bloom, and almost clicked No when the time to cast it came. And after getting past the two NO options, I didn't see the Bloom come up in its own separate window like it used to. I found in in my Exiled pile to click on it. Takes some getting used to.
As of the release of MKM Wizards has made a functional errata of the suspend mechanic, and casting your suspended spell is now a 'may' option instead of a requirement when the last counter is removed. I suspect this is going to cause a lot of frustration on modo because for the last 18 years there was no option to not cast your suspended spells. I'm personally not a fan of changing how long standing mechanics work, but now we have to live with it most likely.

When a spell that makes you pay a tax to prevent your spell from being countered resolves, such as with Spell Pierce, Daze, Mana Tithe, Mana Leak, and No More Lies, the MTGO prompt box asks if you want to pay the tax to prevent the spell being countered. You make your selection and then it asks again if you want to pay to prevent the spell being countered. You do not have two pay for it twice, just your answer for the first prompt doesn't do anything and you have to select again.

It's just a quality of life improvement bug and not a rules-breaking bug but it has been going on for many months now and DayBreak seems to be more responsive to bug fixes so I thought I would make a post. Especially since people are running into it a lot more recently since No More Lies was printed. Hopefully preventing the dialogue box from duplicating the taxing message is an easy fix. 🤞

Wow, thanks. That's really unfortunate that a bug that they know how long it will take to fix can still exist for years. That was before DayBreak took over so hopefully they will resolve it.