Change foils / foil effect on MTGO to be something that people enjoy, or turn off foiling altogether

Foils on MTGO are generally worth less and are less desirable than their non-foil counterparts. In my opinion, this is because the foil effect on MTGO has never been that great. MTGO foiling basically washes out the art and borders on the card. All MTGO foils look the same--they look as if somebody drew over your card with blue and green highlighter markers. This effect creates accessibility issues and is not valued by players.
By the way, I know there is a way to disable foil animations in the settings and I am describing what it looks like after it's disabled.

Foils are supposed to be special and rare versions of cards that people value for aesthetic reasons. At the point people don't like them and try to avoid them, why don't we just change how foils work on MTGO to be something that people actually value? By the way, I don't expect MTGO's developers to be able to recreate the real-life foil effect. Improvements to the foil system can be made without any major graphical upgrades or changes being implemented to MTGO.

For example, let's say foils looked exactly the same as the regular version but at the bottom of the cards it said in small red letters: Foil. Or they could have a little star appearing near the set symbol or the card name. I think that would actually be an improvement to the system we have now, because it would allow people to enjoy the artwork of the card and would let everyone else know that you collected the foil version, which is rarer. Foils are redeemable on MTGO and people understand they can collect real life foils for buying these (just as before).

If not that, why don't we ask players for another system that is 1) easy to implement and 2) makes foils attractive for them to collect and play with?

This type of change would personally make me want to collect and play with MTGO foils. Let me know if you feel the same way.

Last edited:

42en

Yes, please.

I would really like a change to the looks of foils.

Just use the foiling on the card frames, leave the art intact and add the foil shooting star effect in the text box. Instant value increase.

Mockup Disdainful Stroke Foil. Was the first card in my collection I found with the shooting star.

gXACQpq.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I agree. Foils have for too long been viewed negatively on MTGO. Many players won't play them and they trade at a lower value and with worse margins than non-foil cards. It's time to make a graphics change to make foils preferred by players just as they are in paper Magic. Thank you!

PhantomNomadMTG

Funny how when you buy pack in the store it says "1:45 chance for premium card" but then when you get the premium card you find out it is worth less than the normal version. Agree 100% something should be changed to make foils more desired.