Competitive-Format Wishlist - Add to MTGO

MTGO_TonyM

Developer
We have a chunk of CLB cards being released on November 15 that will be announced next week in the BRO on MTGO article.

MTGO does not exercise direct control over banned lists - we take our cues from the appropriate folks (Studio X, Commander Rules Committee, Pauper Committee). The only exceptions are when newer cards would cause competitive integrity issues in Premier events (think Gyruda from Legacy a couple years ago).

Cutefemboi

It can be very frustrating when cards from supplemental products are not on mtgo ESPECIALLY for legacy/vintage. If those cards somehow do make it MTGO its usually as very few slots in chests. If these cards are strong and in very limited supply then they are often VERY expensive. When chests contents are updated so slowly its hard to imagine how long it will take for the entirety of CLB, 40K, or the legal UNF cards to eventually come to MTGO. There are still a lot of cards from older commander sets that are not even on MTGO. It is just frustrating waiting for cards from products that I would be willing to buy slowly make it on MTGO through chests.

On the other hand, from the developer prospective I understand how difficult a task like this must be. Scryfall shows that there are roughly 1500 cards legal in eternal formats that are not currently on mtgo. It seems almost impossible to decide which cards to chose to spend the time coding and getting all the interactions to work (especially on a client that is 20 years old). How do you decide which cards, when often times people ask for cards that very niche or wont see enough play to justify spending the time making that card work.

While I think most players would prefer to have all the cards on MTGO thanks for even putting the cards on MTGO in the first place

PyotrPavel

Pauper would greatly benefit from the following cards:

Rust
Remove Enchantment

The first one is probably the one with the most potential in the current metagame. It did see play in tabletop, as it is a good way to address graveyard hate from cards like Nihil Spellbomb and Relic of Progenitus.
The second one also saw play in tabletop, albeit the meta now doesn't need such an aswer as much as it may've needed in the past. The card is a good way to deal with Auras deck like Bogles Hexproof and White Heroic.

There is also cards missing from MTGO, like Equinox, but that likely wouldn't see that much play... But the other two I mention are definitely good additions choices for the online metagame

ManaDrainThis

Yes, please do prioritize adding in the Warhammer 40K cards, as those decks contain many potent cards for eternal formats. Can’t wait until you add those decks to MTGO!

AppleSaws

Pauper would greatly benefit from the following cards:

Rust
Remove Enchantment

The first one is probably the one with the most potential in the current metagame. It did see play in tabletop, as it is a good way to address graveyard hate from cards like Nihil Spellbomb and Relic of Progenitus.
The second one also saw play in tabletop, albeit the meta now doesn't need such an aswer as much as it may've needed in the past. The card is a good way to deal with Auras deck like Bogles Hexproof and White Heroic.

There is also cards missing from MTGO, like Equinox, but that likely wouldn't see that much play... But the other two I mention are definitely good additions choices for the online metagame
I would like to second the request for Remove Enchantments to be added, and also request Gond Gate as well.

I wouldn't hold out hope for Equilibrium though, that card is an absolute rules nightmare and probably very difficult to add as a result.

First_Revenge

I'll second for wanting triumph on mtgo. I enjoy the card so much in paper. I'm currently taking a break from mtgo and don't really see a reason to come back until i can match my paper deck to my online one.

Thanks!

telarius

If requests here matter at all, Creative Technique please.

Also, is there any plan for what gets rolled out and when? Does your team look at paper decklist performance for prioritizing cards that seem more-important to release on MTGO for supporting formats like Legacy or Vintage? Or are other methods used to determine which cards to prioritize from the backlog?

MTGO_TonyM

Developer
Reminder on the timelines of some of these requests:
  • 40K we are hoping to get in by end of Q2 2023
  • UNF is in a similar timeline to 40K, though it doesn't require the full decks in the same way as 40K
  • SNC and other Commander cards from the backlog are, well, backlogged - mostly due to the demands on the Cardset team to keep up with current sets.

ManaDrainThis

Reminder on the timelines of some of these requests:
  • 40K we are hoping to get in by end of Q2 2023
  • UNF is in a similar timeline to 40K, though it doesn't require the full decks in the same way as 40K
  • SNC and other Commander cards from the backlog are, well, backlogged - mostly due to the demands on the Cardset team to keep up with current sets.
Thanks for the update! Fingers crossed that Daybreak is soon allocated more resources. So many amazing playables in those 40K decks that we’re all itching to play!

griselpuff

1) Chaos Defiler (40K)
2) Mawloc (40K)
3) Comet, Stellar Pup (UNF)
4) Triumph of Saint Katherine (40K)
5) Pair o' Dice Lost (UNF)
6) Embiggen (UNF)
7) Mind Goblin (UNF)
8) Abdel Adrian, Gorian's Ward (CLB)
9) Poxwalkers (40K)
10) Canoptek Scarab Swarm (40K)
11) Creative Technique (C21)